RG250 - Opnions Please

Topics regarding Suzuki 2Strokes
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

RG250 - Opnions Please

Post by pkay »

I have been sorely tempted by an RG250 and am looking for reasons to convince myself it would be a good buy. It is a jap import. What's the view of the collective on the RG?
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Re: RG250 - Opnions Please

Post by EPApolice »

I had a mk3 years ago and it is still one of the best bikes I ever owned which is surprising considering its a Suzuki. Having said that I have one now that is possessed by the devil. Very narrow bike and great for traffic. If its a good bike and the price is right I would do it. The last ones have three spoke wheels and very hard to find but the Walter Wolf is the pick if you ask me.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

I always found them very ugly, but my opinion doesn't matter coz I'm not buying it.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
Gazzah
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by Gazzah »

Hi pkay,
I had a 84 Mk2 back in the day, loved it, very light, vey peaky! and great fun to ride , was very reliable but plastics cracked badly.
If its a good one I reckon you will love it .

Cheers
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

hybrid wrote:I always found them very ugly,..... .
You jest, no????!!!!

ImageImage

The only thing better would be an RG with an LC motor slotted in.

Last edited by OzzyElsie on Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Power valve motor drops right in, just needs a pair of simple brackets. Bit of wiring and matching some pipes up.
BUT why mod it unless it's a we're ck or the motor's stuffed, they are n't making them anymore.
83 bike is the bott on pic, 84 is the same bike with a more streamlined top fairing and tail, then they got all jelly-mould like the top picture.
I'm taking delivery of my 84 project tomorrow - I'm somewhat excited.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

1983 must make them the first mass production ally frame surely?
Earlier than the Gixer.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

BRG1200 wrote: BUT why mod it .......
To go faster, to have more fun :lol:
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Mine's a single disc up front, can anyone confirm if the twin disc was a Jap market thing, or were there twin discs mixed in there somehow?
Seen twin discs from bikes in UK and Oz, but never known if it was coz they were Jap market imports or not.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

BRG1200 wrote:1983 must make them the first mass production ally frame surely?
Earlier than the Gixer.
I'm no expert/motorcycle historian but I think so. That would give it a good claim as a investment appreciating collectable ;) .
Richie_rich
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Richie_rich »

OzzyElsie wrote:
BRG1200 wrote:1983 must make them the first mass production ally frame surely?
Earlier than the Gixer.
I'm no expert/motorcycle historian but I think so. That would give it a good claim as a investment appreciating collectable ;) .
Yep, RG250 was the first mass produced alloy frame road bike. GSX-R400 came a year later in 84 and was the first 4 stroke with an alloy frame - go Suzuki!

I personally have always liked the mkII styling the best and loved the HB replicas in yellow. I'd second the dropping in of a 350 YPVS motor which would give the chassis an engine it deserves and vice versa for the motor, a cult bike!
Richie_rich
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Richie_rich »

BRG1200 wrote:Mine's a single disc up front, can anyone confirm if the twin disc was a Jap market thing, or were there twin discs mixed in there somehow?
Seen twin discs from bikes in UK and Oz, but never known if it was coz they were Jap market imports or not.
Yep, twin discs were only available on the JDM bikes for the mkI & mkII models. ROW bikes only got the one disc.

Always loved the race style instruments on the early models, pure function!
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

We seem to suddenly have a little cadre of recent RG owners, me included, will need to do a bit of information sharing!
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

The RG seems to have a few nice touches, I picked up a spare tank from our friendly Adelaide wrecker - Japanese Motorcycle Dismantlers on Churchill Road - shameless plug, but I've never come across such a helpful wrecker (Damien is the proprietor) and they can get all sorts of new stuff, tyres etc and work on your bike.
The egg shaped fuel cap has that shape coz it also covers the two stroke oil filler, and the two stroke tank is neatly fixed to the underside of the tank. Neat, can't wait to get stuck into this little bike.
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

I dont like the mk1 or mk2, the rear looks horrible if you ask me. There seems to be no middle ground with RGs you either love them or hate them.
I have heaps of spares for RGs if anyone needs some stuff.