It's a sickness...

Tell us about yourself and your bike(s), car(s), boat(s) or other toys
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: It's a sickness...

Post by BRG1200 »

Is it just my imagination or are KR250's becoming a bit of a subculture?
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Whats your tipple Thommo? :-)=)
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
Thommo
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by Thommo »

Single malt scotch
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Ah, you have refined tastes. Well with whisky anyway :-)
Cypher

Post by Cypher »

Richie_rich wrote:Welcome! Very nice bikes you have there. I like the fork and wheel mods on the RG - are they aprilia? It's not obvious when you first look at the photo but looks like a nice upgrade and a nice change from the usual RGV mods.

Good eye - yes that's a set of RS250 wheels, brakes and forks.
It's a surprisingly easy mod, the steering stem is exactly the same length and thread pitch, I had spacers made up for the lower stem bearing and rear wheel, and welded a tang onto a crappy RG swingarm I had to secure the rear caliper bracket and that's about it!
I can now run easy-to-find radial rubber and the brakes are sensational.

Good luck with KR250, will watch your progress with interest.

Thanks, I think I'm going to need it.
I grabbed mine reasonably cheaply, but photos only show so much - I'm dreading getting it home to find the real issues!
Thanks for the welcome blokes.

As I start on the KR, I'll post up some more pics on how much it's pissing me off...
Last edited by Cypher on Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cypher

Post by Cypher »

BRG1200 wrote:What wheels have you got on your Rg500? Looks good on them.

As above!

Handsome looking trailies.

Ta, the water-cooled one has tried to kill me at least once.
I do fear however that it may need to make way for the KR - wanna buy it?

Have you got any "before" photos? Would be very interesting to see where you started from, I'm presuming you've done a truckload of work on them.
Some progress shots of the RG (not the real early nasty ones though)...

Stock wheels and tyres:

Last edited by Cypher on Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Richie_rich
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Richie_rich »

Looks like you've done a lovely job on the RG, looks like new. I have to admit that I much prefer that red/whit/blk colour scheme to the blu/white ones. Also makes your fork / wheel mods look very factory - particularly the black forks. Lovely!

If you need motivation for your KR250 build I believe the latest edition of Practical Sportsbikes magazine has a coparison test of a non-PV KR250 vs. a PV KR250.

I assume you've come across the KR250.org website and a KR250 forum that's part of the UK KR1 forum here: http://www.kr-1s.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=16

Useful info and lots of knowlegable souls.
Cypher

Post by Cypher »

Richie_rich wrote:Looks like you've done a lovely job on the RG, looks like new. I have to admit that I much prefer that red/whit/blk colour scheme to the blu/white ones. Also makes your fork / wheel mods look very factory - particularly the black forks. Lovely!

If you need motivation for your KR250 build I believe the latest edition of Practical Sportsbikes magazine has a coparison test of a non-PV KR250 vs. a PV KR250.

I assume you've come across the KR250.org website and a KR250 forum that's part of the UK KR1 forum here: http://www.kr-1s.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=16

Useful info and lots of knowlegable souls.
Thanks!

Yeah, the RG has come up pretty good, although it's no Concours winner when you get up close...

It's a rider so I didn't go absolutely nuts on the real fine details - the only new paint is on the nose, tank and ducktail, and I didn't paint the motor, just cleaned it up (you can't see it under the fairing...).

I just cleaned the frame and swingarm (aluminium's easy like that!) and tidied the rest.

The engine was in two boxes and required a lot of fettling to get together - I had to get some missing bits made from scratch such is the rarity of parts (although if I had've looked a bit harder in my 'spares' box I wouldn't have had to do that) and the pistons are ring-ins from somewhere else and had to be heavily modded to work.
On the plus side, it's now nearly 560ccs...

Suffice to say it absolutely hammers once you're in the band and after a quick jet and tune session on the dyno is good for just over 90HP at the rear wheel :mrgreen: .

It certainly brings a smile to my face...
Richie_rich
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Richie_rich »

Yep, 90hp ain't bad at all. Good thing you upgraded the suspension and brakes!
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

Phwee!!! 90hp would be pretty mild compared to this thing 'on da pipe', hooked and driving......Image

Image :drool:

Nice bikes mister, nice resto's :drink:
smokin074
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by smokin074 »

Hi Paul , welcome to the forum regards Graham :lol: