RD 350 Forks

Looking for a part?
waggy
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

RD 350 Forks

Post by waggy »

Hi, finally picked up my new toy. first thing i'm chasing is a set of forks for a 73-75 rd350. let me know if you have anything and how much your after. Thanks
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Re: RD 350 Forks

Post by Greasemeup »

Stankflapper suggests that they are available new from Yambits, others stand by the theory that RAD Hard Chroming can re-chrome your originals for around the same price.

Let us know what you do..
waggy
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by waggy »

Well i don't have any to re-chrome so i'll have a look at yambits i guess and keep my eyes out for some second hand ones too
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

Seems you need the whole set, there is an RZ front end on gumtree for $400.

Good luck.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

rdlccrazy do stanchions for LCs and RZs, don't know if Norbo can do anything applicable to your bike, and postage may be a stinger. Jussathort.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
waggy
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by waggy »

thanks for the reply's people, that rz front end is interesting but im guessing i can't use my rd spoke wheel with that? i'm not really interested in running alloy wheels
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

I'd take a punt that the spindles are probably same thickness but wouldn't want to guess beyond that.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

You can always get bearings to suit if thats all it is.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

There are a number of different RZ forks, plus the older LC type as well... I believe the AC and LC (incl RZ) bikes use the same head bearings, so the triples should fit. As for spindles, I cant believe the AC has a thinner one than the RZ, its like a drinking straw LOL.

RZ front ends, LC too, are no longer budget items. I sold a great set of legs for 225 the other day, and the was over the moon as they were nicer than the pics. Finding ones that dont need rechroming is harder n harder now sadly.

I would look for some AC ones or try another less 'loved' bike than the LC/RZ range and one that has the type of brake setup and wheels that you want. Bit of sleuthing might find you a good deal :)
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

You thinking XS650 or SR400 or even more modern like fzr250 2KR?
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

waggy wrote:thanks for the reply's people, that rz front end is interesting but im guessing i can't use my rd spoke wheel with that? i'm not really interested in running alloy wheels
Don't quote me as gospel but I believe all the RD's including the LC's are 34mm and will interchange and all wheels and discs both spoked and mags interchange. If they are not 'bolt ins' they are doable and easy. (Most Yammy MX'ers and Trailies of the period were also 34mm)

The internals of the RD forks varied. The first (maybe yours) had one way dampening and were pretty good in damping and spring rates. They then went two way damping and went backwards in performance but improved for the last of them including the Daytonas.

The standard LC's went backwards from the Daytona and then came good for the RZ's.

The RZ are 35mm and RZ mk2 fin the little fins on the bottom are a better fork than the year earlier. (I consider $400 for an RZ front end exxie - but that's me. It would want to be good with good caliper etc for that money.)

The RZ mk2 would be your best bet for fork performance and would hardly be noticed this side of an RD expert (they're out there :-| ) but the wire wheels are not a bolt in - doable but not a bolt in. All axles are 17mm but there are slight difference in width which shows up at the disc, the mudguard mounts and at the triples. It about 5mm each side from memory.

The FZR would be doable but more trouble than the RZ's.

I'm not expert enough to recommend one or the other but hopefully giving you enough info to be encouraging - playing mix and match is doable and can be rewarding having a unique build and a good handling clunker :lol: .

I might go to the garage tomorrow or the w.e. and run a vernier over a few and let you know.
mboddy
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by mboddy »

LC are 32mm
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Ahha, so there is mr mboddy! can you check your PMs mate, LB mentioned he was trying to contact you about some RZ forks he was doing for me and him with emultaors, I think on the RDRZ500 forum...
L.B.
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by L.B. »

Lol,pm resent mboddy.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

Yes the LC's are indeed 32mm .... and whimpy, puny and a backward step.

RZ mk2 are 35mm and so are FZR's.

All axles are 12mm not 17mm as I said :$ .