Yamaha yl3 restoration

Post your Project Bike threads here.
hrc14h
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Re: Yamaha yl3 restoration

Post by hrc14h »

I remember doubling a mate on a yl1 back in the 80s.
The bike had trouble running on both cylinders.
When the second cylinder kicked in the bike wheeled and the pillions feet were up near my ears. How he didn't fall of I'll never know.
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

G'day race fans. The young gun who will be painting my bike is having trouble finding the paint from the Yamaha colour code. Does anyone know a paint supplier who can supply from the code. Yamaha code is CR0022 candy red
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

G'day race fans. I haven't posted for a while , although i have been very busy on this restoration. The chrome work is all but done. I aquired a new wiring harness plus speedo amungst other genuine Yamaha parts. the tires are fitted and today i picked up the painted bike. I won't show it all just yet but here is a photo of the tank with the badge and knee pad semi installed. The original colour of the bike was Yamaha candy red, The painter and i went to allot of trouble to match the original colour. I'm very happy with the result. Yet to do is paint the engine side covers and barrells plus heads. Also i'm waiting for the seat to be covered and the side/centre stand to come back from powder coaters. Hopefully all going well I'll have the bike complete in a month. Photo's
Image Image
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

Ooooh, Ahhhhh, That's prurdy..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Aaaahhhhh..... nice
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

A few more pictures of painted, chromed and powdercoated. Today i assembled forks and triple clamp. Image
Image Image
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Looks real purdy!
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

Does anyone have a yl1 or yl3 in there collection? I'm trying to determine the thickness of the seat foam. hoping to get measurements of of seat?
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

I do and will get some measurements asap. I can tell you though the YL1 had two different seats for the two types of YL1s. I have both so you can decide which one works best for you.
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

Just doing my community service Jon.

The foam on my spare seat is 70mm thick but this seat is old and in bad shape so give or take 10mm I suggest. I can't measure my good bike right now, that may take a few days.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

One day I would love to wander your collection Pat, I reckon it would be a fantastic few hours. :)
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

Thanks pat. that gives me a ball park. If you get to your good bike maybe you can take 2 measurements, lets say 10cm in from the rear and 10cm in from the front. Today I installed new brake shoes in both rims and gave the backing plates a final polish.
Can you also tell me pat if the engine cases where originaly painted? My guess is they where not. I have colour matched the paint for the side covers and cylinder heads using a part i borrowed from yamaha. I'm thinking of cleaning the cases as best i can and leaving them natural alluminium.
I hoped to install wiring loom today but i have discovered that the inside of the frame has missed being painted and the bare steel is exposed after sandblasting. Either i mask everything up and spray some rust kill undercoat inside (risking overspray) or spray in fish oil or a simular non staining coating? will be talking to painter before i decide.
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

I don't know for sure the finish of the cases because my motor was in a bad way with cockroaches living inside it so I just got mine all vapour blasted including the side cases.