SR400. WTF. Discuss.

Off-Topic chat... chat about anything here.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

SR400. WTF. Discuss.

Post by BRG1200 »

Its not a two stroke, but it is/was contemporaneous with most of the bikes we favour.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Re: SR400. WTF. Discuss.

Post by Greasemeup »

Yamaha just released it officially into the AU market for the first time..
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Aye? What's going on?

We can buy a new SR400 ?
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Yes, yes we can.
Dad has one of the older SR500's.
My uncle might want to buy one of those.

BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Now compare this 400 to the original 500
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

I have an XT500... It cost more than the new SR400... question is, who is the mad one? LOL

So, would I buy the SR? nope... but plenty will I reckon, as fast as you can say 'Deus Catalog...'....
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Wow, I like your XT!
Dad used to have one of those years ago.
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

Nice, looks like a nice mix of old and new, love the wheels.
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

What's to discuss its a four stroke.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

LOL @ Pat... nothing much to dislike with any Yam of this era imho. The SR/XT is very much of the same design as the RD's in many ways, you can defo can tell it came from the same design and engineering studios. The transmission is scarily similar in places as are the frame parts.

Jeff / GMU, Yeah my XT is a huge mix of old and new and was conceived as one of my dream bikes. Hours and hours have gone into it of course and mostly its new, and all of it has been rebuilt/restored as well of course. Spec includes KTM motard wheels, shortened KTM forks, Brembo brakes, aftermarket swingarm, natty YSS shocks, lots of new/NOS parts, 10:1 piston, Stainless pipe, TM36, 12v conversion, custom seat and beautifully restored fuel tank by Collide-a-scope etc etc...

For those who fancy a read (get a beer or a coffee, its quite long) the full story is here: http://2smoked.com/Yamaha_XT500_Supermoto_-_Home.html

Ok, the story isnt quite up to date there as Ive now fitted the front brake and new indicators, but I need to update the site again.... Its very close to being done really...

What is funny is that while many guys come over to talk RD/RZs they all I think are a bit used to those bikes as they have their own at home and while they like seeing my 'strokers they just arent 'new' to them as theyve see them in pics. Ive found that often when they see the XT they go quiet and a few have started babbling about their old bike, their old mans' or a mates, its a bit weird at times LOL. First time it happened a mate went quiet for a full 5 mins after animated talk about 2Ts since he arrived. I worried something had happened to him, it just just a mix of memories and emotions apparently LOL!

I should also add that the bike looks so much better in the metal than in the crappy pic, for some reason I cant put my finger on this one looks 'lumpy' in pics, but sleek in real life.

So, should you buy one of yammy's new SR400s and spend a bunch of cash modding it to perfection? ...maybe Im the wrong guy to ask, but I really like my XT version and 35(ish)bhp never felt this much fun as its such a small and slim bike, especially compared to an LC or RZ.

To sort of help keep this part about 2Ts, here are some pics of my LC with the (part done - seat/brake/inds not fitted) XT from the other month, you may not have seen them:

Nice arses LOL!

To keep this on message, the SR400... well its not a 500, its rev'ier and makes a bit less power, not much tho. Its said that if you keep the 400s head and use a 500 barrel you will get a revvy fun motor.

The only real downside is that the new 400 isnt cheap, and if you mod it after it will cost a packet, but to be honest most 500s cost a packet now anyway. Doing them up and modding them is not cheap, but what is...

Will it be a hit with Hipsters? oh yes...! For the Cardigans and Beards who like to meet for a Latte on Sunday mornings this will be the most talked about bike this season, or maybe it wont, lets face it Hipsters dont care about costs or age of bikes, its about the cool parts and mods (exhaust wrap is mod right?) you do, and the quality of the Quinoa in the veggie salad...
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

Security, security we need someone ejected from the forum.
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

I'm pretty sure there is nothing that sounds worse than a single cylinder slow stroke with a loud pipe. I live on a hill on a busy road and have to listen to these heaps of shit every day pass my house :help:
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Lots of them around lately too. Blokes on road/trails riding like idiots.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

The things you usually hear are the 250 Ninjas with loud pipes that sound like they are in pain, but theyre nothing on the noise most harleys seem to make thee days. :/