Rear sets

Off-Topic chat... chat about anything here.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Rear sets

Post by BRG1200 »

I know nothing about rearsets, was idly musing an old set of rearsets might be a better option for my model kit LC project. By the time I get the existing plates, rests and rubbers sorted out a period-ish set of rearsets might be a decent alternative.
No rush, but anyone got any tips about rearsets, or links to places that sell cost effective sets?
I'm in no rush, just looking to pick up ideas and info.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: Rear sets

Post by JonW »

Rearsets are an interesting one, it does seem that you get what you pay for with them. I have old Raasks on my LC, most people hate the look of the nasty sand cast 80s plates, and the modern version can fail across them (ask Seahorse). Anyway they work on my bike, I quite like em.

Most people like Tarozi as they are the right price/quality, and probably with a bit of effort a few of us could bandy together and get a discount as most people would be happy to grab a set for one of their projects.

Older Japanese ones do come up now and then on the other forums, usually from the USA, ie SH just got a set of bolt thrus, and you could make them easily enough, just a few sized and flanged disks for the OEM rearsets etc.

Peter on the RDRZ500 forum was making some natty ones for the RZ that would have fitted with a bit of effort on your bike, but hes gone very quiet now which is a shame. He had a bunch of orders lined up too :/

Anyway, have a look in Japan for something different to Tarozis... you never know...