RD350 Project

Post your Project Bike threads here.
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: RD350 Project

Post by ged »

Good to see youre still on the case Waggy! The slow progress is making me look less slack..... it's easy to underestimate the complexity and level of detail that goes into a oroject like this. I'm battling through wiring and loom issues at the moment too and it seems every time I turn my back, there is another detail jumps out at me!

Carbs? I'm sticking with the VM28's it came with. That's plenty of carburettor, (unless your going drag racing) there's plenty of tuning advice out there, and they're still relatively easy and cheap to get hold of. A set of Lectrons would look great, but I bet they'd be the devil to set up and I dunno that you'd appreciate the performance difference in street riding anyway?

I'm keen to see a photo of your JL pipes mounted up once you have the engine back in Waggy. I'm curious to see how they would fit in my application.
waggy
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by waggy »

From what I've been able to find after doing a bit of googling it seems like 28's are definitely the go for a street ridden bike, I'm leaning towards the keihin pwk's. The wiring shouldn't be too difficult with the gauge and m-unit and because I'm building the loom from scratch at least I won't have to chase problems in an old harness that's been butchered by previous owners over the years lol
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

Yeah, I've started with an original '73 B loom, (which is actually in pretty good condition despite its age) but adapting later C model switch gear plus other bits and pieces, and relocating the main components down the back somewhere, but it will still largely be the original loom.

The C model switchgear seemed a logical choice when I selected them out of the box of bits that I'd accumulated, because they had the nice connector blocks etc, but they're actually quite different circuits internally (so far, in the right switch anyway) and I wish I had used the earlier style switch blocks instead now, but it's a bit too late after having blasted, painted and redecaled the outsides, replated the internal screws and holding plates, contact cleaned all the switches and rebuilt them both.....

I pretty much haven't been anywhere near my bike for over 4 months now while I've been working (at least) 2 jobs, but I got bit 'not ok' about all that last week, so I've found a few hours over the last few days to throw at it, and its been great to move it along a little. Those particular switch blocks and components have been sprayed all over my workshop for almost all of that 4 months! so I was glad that they all went back together at all!