RS250 Project

Forum for Aprilia Two Strokes
kiffsta

RS250 Project

Post by kiffsta »

Well, I bid farewell to my Mark 1 Aprilia a few weeks back and was somewhat melancholy about it.... on one hand I owned what is quite possibly the best factory prepared 2 stroke road bike ever made, on the other hand it just sat there with the odd blat but wasn't seriously ridden.

So last week I am sitting at the airport ready for a work trip to Mt Isa where I spotted a mark 2 RS250 on Gumtree for $2500, I called the buyer and basically it had sat there for the last 3 years as he had lost his license, we bartered back and forth and eventually settled on a price.

Last Thursday I drove 6.5 hour round trip to get it from a farm 30 mins past Toowoomba, I was buggered when I got home, but wasn't too buggered to hook up the jumper leads and hear her fire up, she already has Castrol TTS in her... you cant mistake that smell :thumbs:

The PO bought it with 3000kms on the clock, it now has 20000 and he said he never did anything mechanical, I'm planning a top end rebuild just to be sure, its not that expensive and may save me some headaches when out on the road, plus I'm very keen to look at the power valves and see what condition they are in, maybe replace them with cougar reds if the budget will allow.

My heart says Tyga it up, so I am looking at some chambers and carbon bits for her on their website

She is a long way from perfect, but will be a good long term project.

thanks

Chris

Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Re: RS250 Project

Post by Greasemeup »

Pls fix the pic :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

The website where the image is hosted doesn't allow viewing it unless you're logged in by the looks of it.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

There might be a setting to change? Otherwise the link to forums is pointless..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kiffsta

Post by kiffsta »

Been quite busy with the Aprilia , she has had a full top end rebuild , new tyga rearsets, tyga bars, tyga chambers, carbs rebuilt, new goldfren brake pads, fresh fluids all round, Im picking up some Pirelli Diablo Rosso tyres tomorrow then and a small amount of reassembly and I will fire her up, this has been a fun rebuild, will post up come pics when she is done.
kiffsta

Post by kiffsta »

so after a bit more assembly, she was ready to fire up, I bled the oil lines and mixed a batch of 25:1 premix for the first start. 2nd kick and she fired up and it sounded tops, oh the sweet smell of Castrol TTS :Clap:

I have been running her up to temp then letting her cool down then doing it again and again to try and heat cycle it correctly. I thought I had better make a vid of her running, yes she is smoky, but thats the 25:1 doing its job.

I dont have a photobucket account so no pics just yet.

Here she is running

[youtube]http://youtu.be/i1SYY1OyO8c[/youtube]

Cheers

Chris
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Sounds nice :)
kiffsta

Post by kiffsta »

cheers guys, On Saturday arvo I had a pair of Pirelli Rosso II's fitted , also new chain and sprockets, a couple more hours in the shed and should should be back togther and ready for rego.
2TInstitute
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by 2TInstitute »

Heat cycling is 2 laps at 3/4 pace tootle down pit lane and go for the doctor. Warming the bike up in neutral does SFA. You want a load on the engine to get hot. I usualy do 3x5 min on road engines, first 5min up to 1/3 throttle never constant, leave to cool 5min, second 5imn up to 2/3 throttle no constant throttle, wait 5 min , last 5 min flatten it.
kiffsta

Post by kiffsta »

finally finished

Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

V Clean :)

GMU via Tapatalk
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Looks very nice!
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

kiffsta wrote:finally finished

Tasty and tasteful :D
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916