rz500 buying guide help wanted

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: rz500 buying guide help wanted

Post by BRG1200 »

Talking about middleweight strokers with a mate a while back, and we rued the idea that Honda didn't make the NS400 a proper 500. I like the "alternate reality" with three or more 500 1980's strokers in the world. KR500 anyone?

I conjectured that at that time, 1984, Honda had the VT250 - which was a well integrated looking thing with an engine bay that really should have had a 350 YPVS sort of twin in it, and conventional front brakes. Instead they built that 3 pot MVX250, which looked like a gawky schoolgirl by comparison.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

NS400R motor in a CBR400RR chassis [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

I don't hate mine just being honest that it is a let down the guy did ask for opinions after all.
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

thanks for all your opinions gents.It has put some water on the fire. I wasn;t aware that there a dissapiontment of a ride. Seems there are 4 rz500's for sale at the moment for 10k + none are attracting bids or selling. I might hold back for a while and see if a bike comes up at a lower price. 10k is allot of money for a bike to buy only for it's appreciating value rather then it's performance. You can buy some nice motorcycles of interest for that sort of coin,(tz350 comes to mind) maybe something else will come along.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

You can spend a little more to change the front end and put some decent wheels and tyres on it, and that will sort out most of the issues.

IMO, the most important thing is to get rid of the front forks/anti-dive and put some better sized wheels and tyres. Keep all the stock stuff in case you want to sell or go back std.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

You make a good point or two Gman, there's a lot of fashion and speculation in the bike market. Contentious thing I might chuck in - if you have to significantly change something, was it what you wanted in the first place? Hmm, sounds like marriage when I put it like that, ho ho.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
DuncanB
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by DuncanB »

I had one back in the UK, and kept it for 8 or so years... Loved it to be honest. OK, so it didn't handle like the TZR250 that preceeded it, but with a bit of rider input it did well enough for a mid 80's bike, and as for performance I could keep my mates at bay on their 750's. I did have a tech 2000 shock on the back, and the forks set up by them, otherwise it was pretty standard. It was a daily rider for a couple of years, and gave me bugger all trouble. Wish I still had it... though I wish I still had me fizzy!
Project RD350LC. Finished YL2C.
Link
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Link »

I dont mind the rz handling but its 80,s and old and 16 inch front. The biggest problem seems to be their legend is a lot bigger than the bike rg,s too. A few people i know of have bought them after always wanting one expecting some master craft, race, super machine and they arent that at all. If you can ride one before paying a lot of money try one for sure you will either love it and hand over the cash or thank your lucky stars you didnt buy one. they arent real good in traffic, dont handle great, hate mid corner bumps and arent as good as a r6 but they are a lot of fun and if looked after you wont loose any big money buying one.The best part is though theres 4 pipes for smoke to come out!!!!!! Link
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Link wrote:The best part is though theres 4 pipes for smoke to come out!!!!!! Link
Amen!
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Good comment Link. Very fair summary.