Tyre age for Rego NSW

Off-Topic chat... chat about anything here.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Tyre age for Rego NSW

Post by JonW »

Chatting to a mate in the trade about Blue slipping bikes. He had a nice RGV in his place and said it was failing only on the age of its tyres as they were 10 years old. He mentioned that the law is 6, i didnt know that, did you? In which case I need quite few new tyres :/

I should also say that I looked online and couldnt find anything ADR or RTA/RMS wise about tyre age. hmm...
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Re: Tyre age for Rego NSW

Post by Greasemeup »

Go somewhere else!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

With the local cops stopping people and checking bikes for bizarre things like length of handlebars, where the rego plate is located or how far apart the indicators are, Im wanting to be squeaky clean on this easy stuff, noise and other things will cause me enough problems...
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

Unless the law/regs have changed recently :? the only requirements are that there is minimum tread and sound construction.
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

Some shops find shit that isn't required, just to fill the coffers methinks, hoping you will simply say, OK, just fix it & bill me!

Not a big fan of dealers. Best trick is to buy a bike with a road worthy, let it expire, then take it to your local dealer & have them find all the stuff that needs fixing, call back the sellers shop & tell em your issues and give them the phone number & quote for repairs :)

You can bet a threat to call the Motor a Traders Association will get a reaction. How can you issue a road worthy to a bike with a defect..

Devil horns out!

Revenge of the customer!

Rant over! ;)

Thommo
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by Thommo »

That's a new one to me. I'm calling bullshit. One shop down here in vic always cites head bearings need replacing and than happily gives you a not so lovely price to replace them.
I'd call a couple of other inspection blokes and ask them for a 2nd opinion.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Ok, this is actually a good mate of mine who told me this and its not my bike, it just reminded me I have older (but good condition) tyres on my bikes that's all. Im not trying to cheat the system or moan about a test I had done, Im just looking for the regs really. Like many of you guys I didnt know of this rule, so it was a worry is all.

A few years ago a main dealer told me he would like to fail my KTM on head bearings as they were notchy, but after he consulted the (very thick) manual he had to agree they were fine as notchy isnt a fail, its only play that is. I replaced them the next week of course, but he did what was in the book, by the book. Maybe I should read the thick book about the tyres. hmmm...
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

How the hell would they know how old the tyres are?
Is there a manufacture date? I've never looked that closely.

Pretty sure all but the 500's rear tyre would be older than that.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

hybrid wrote:How the hell would they know how old the tyres are?
Is there a manufacture date? I've never looked that closely.

Pretty sure all but the 500's rear tyre would be older than that.
Yep, there is a code on the tyre. I'm not sure if it is only a manufacturer's code or a regulatory required code.

Speaking of the AIS checklist for NSW only (I'm not certain if is the same in all states, and I'm not certain that this is the latest info) but there are some acceptable standards within the AIS regs that I would disagree with.

One was that a 20mm offset in alignment between the front and rear wheels was acceptable. Another was a 5-10mm detectable deflection at the top of a wheel was acceptable freeplay for wheel bearings. Personally I won't ride a bike with either.

A car mechanic might tick and flick these without comment or care. A bike mechanic might go wide eyed and comment, or exceed his authority and reject the bike (I would).

Just like the current Lane Splitting laws, just because its legal doesn't mean you have to do it.

Caveat emptor :wink: :P
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

yes indeed there is a code. Its in the oval shape and has a date code of WWYY where WW is the week and YY is the year. ie 2310 is 23rd week of 2010. All manufauters use the same code, car, bike all tyres etc.
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

I would expect a fail if the side walls of any tyre were cracked or bulging, but age? Ride at your own risk, note it on the report so thyne own ass is covered then leave it up to the owners discretion.

OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

Greasemeup wrote:I would expect a fail if the side walls of any tyre were cracked or bulging, but age? Ride at your own risk, note it on the report so thyne own ass is covered then leave it up to the owners discretion.

In NSW side wall cracks or cuts are not grounds for failure. The tyre has to be sound, which means the construction cords can't be seen.

And there must be no oil leaks, which means there can't be oil seen beading or dropping. An oily film is not grounds for failure.

But these are misinterpreted and interpreted differently, and enforced differently.
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Tyre age for Rego NSW

Post by Greasemeup »

Favourite site mantra re safety.

Safety is not optional, it's interpretation is!

Or

Safety, for when it's cheap or convenient!

JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Seems I will need to locate a copy of the manual and read it, I'll visit my mate and ask him, not least as I need to use his tyre machine LOL I will report back :)