dt400..im back...

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

dt400..im back...

Post by twinrock »

Well its been a while since I had a bike since I built my own house all bikes were sold and what ever was bought was soon flipped again..how ever I have long been thinking about something totally different from the rz , tzr yamagams iv had in the past..something old, simple and angry..like me..lol but I had looked at iT465 and 490s and bought a project one but soon swapped it for a gravel driveway befor I got to ride it..lol I found a 1975 dt400 from a farm 2 hours south of canberra.. was told it was a runner and went vry well it had nevr been regoed and same guy owned it for 34yrs. $600 and it was mine.. however time had taken its toll, rusted tank forks and basic neglect..I was hopping just to tidy and get it and me back on the road..I stripped blasted and painted frame and engine new rear shocks then fitted a dt200L rear wheel and front end up grades with a bigger xt250 disc and brembo caliper and mastercylinder.. i was told that it had some porting but still was not expecting too much..I had also ditched the airbox for a pod then cut open the pipe removing all the baffleing , big job that,
took it for a lil ride up the street.. big torque engine makes no effort in pulling away as revs climed so did the front wheel..catching me totally off guard second gear was the same as I wheelied most of the street till I ran out of road...Wow what an awesome lil bike..engine runs sweet and relatively smooth power every where..hang on this was not the boring tractor stump pulling bike that all the reveiws had led me to believe...and man im diggin it!! All lights are now working hope to have it regoed next week
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Re: dt400..im back...

Post by twinrock »

Hey mate thanks my phone also died and I lost your contact..can u pm ur number too me.. I also read and enjoys your xt build last night..great work very proffessonal
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

WB Justin... now...
pics!
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by twinrock »

Ahh yes pics.. well the bike isnt as pretty as my usual builds,, ill get one today
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

You need to do this to it.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Or this

twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by twinrock »

Yeah..the pipe is the tricky part these days..I built a flat track dt175 looked just like that first one..I have modded the pipe it now runs underslung on the 400 ..very low tho
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

The first pic I posted looks like there is enough room to fit between the engine and seat and come straight out the back. Not sure how it would look though.
smokin074
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by smokin074 »

Hi Hybrid , whose bike is the flat track DT400 man that's very cool, I was think the same some time back , easier that keeping the Rz 250/350's going, slim , no clutter stripped down 400 mate that would rip on the streets , Justin hope you post some pics soon. Real interested on what you are going to do with it. regards Graham :D
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by twinrock »

Prob with the stock pipe is its tuned length..pipe hangs out past rear wheel..and if u have it shorter it sits inside the shock and will hit the rear wheel ,and if u take the rear stock mug guard off it just all sticks out soo far,, and got nothing to bolt it too..beleive me I looked at it vry long and hard, the bikes that I have seen up close anc personal with aftr market chambers look good.. how ever all bottom end is lost from the performance this is first hand form guys I know who race them..I cut and under slung mine looks ugly but works very well I removed all inside baffleing and shortened the muffler very happy with performance it makes for an awsome street bike
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by twinrock »

Here is a link to photobucket a few pics..thre is also a pic of a orange 175 I did too enjoy..http://s36.photobucket.com/user/twinroc ... sort=3&o=0