Intro from Sydney

Tell us about yourself and your bike(s), car(s), boat(s) or other toys
Gavin
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Intro from Sydney

Post by Gavin »

Hi all,
Thought i'd introduce myself and my projects. Just purchased 3 RZs with the intention of creating at least 2 running bikes. I bought an RZ500 in bits and boxes. That's on the back burner for now.

Then I picked up (what I was told was) an RZ350 1WY F2, which was a bike I had when I was a teenager. When it finally arrived, it turns out to be an RZ250 1GA with a 350 1WY engine fitted. Bit disappointed and now don't know what to do with this.....

Finally I bought an old barn yard find, RZ250 1XH which is seized but otherwise in a dirty but decent condition.

I'm from Sydney, been riding for 30+ years, and technically minded with a touch of OCD thrown in.
I'd love to restore these bikes to the level that JonW does them but right now, running would be a good place to be.

I'll have lots of noobie questions so please be kind.

My area of expertise is more IT (networks, computers etc) so would be happy to swap labour hours if any of you are getting frustrated with works in this area, but can offer mechanical assistance in return.

I'll take pics along the way and post up in the other forum areas.

Cheers for now

Gavin
86 RZ250F restored. 84 RZ500 rebuild in progress, 73 CT3 in progress
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Re: Intro from Sydney

Post by Greasemeup »

Hey Gavin,

I have the 1GA with 350 motor, nothing wrong with that IMO unless you want to either brag about its value once restored or sell it, then I am sure the numbers matching might get you an easier sale or an extra thousand on top :)

Welcome & can't wait for the pictures.

GMU..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Hey Gavin, good to see you posting here mate. Thanks for the kind words about my projects.

A couple of things to note...

1, a 1GA is a very rare bike... having the later motor is not a huge issue really, espeically if you are keeping it like GMU says. The 1GA is very very similar to the F2 so looks wise its close. I do know of an Aussie round headlight F2 thats coming up for sale soon, perhaps you and the seller could do a deal, tho i dont know if he wants another bike in the deal, but anyway the thought is there...

2, I assume the 1XH is non faired? If so that sounds like a useful easy project to play with and modify, I say this as the F1 (1GA) should be restored not modded really and modded RZs are a hoot. IMHO everyone needs at least one LC/RZ in their lives, and better to have a standard and a modded one if you can. Standard is also an easy bike to historic rego, nice n cheap :)

best do some pics and get on photobucket, lets see this collection!
Gavin
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Gavin »

Thanks Jon / GMU,
I should point out that the 1GA has a compliance plate and engine stamp of the same ID but the headstock has been welded over and painted so I'm assuming that it will not qualify for rego again in its current form.

I was looking at splitting it up for parts but something in me can't end the life of a classic. Hence my comments about options from here?

The 1XH is this one: http://www.rd350lc.net/page1WY-86.htm
Fully faired, like a smaller version of the F2 but for some reason they didn't give it this title.

Keep an eye on the other forums. My questions will start to flow soon. :)
86 RZ250F restored. 84 RZ500 rebuild in progress, 73 CT3 in progress
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Interesting... I would grind off the weld and see if the number is intact under it and also find the reason its been welded. it could well be still there underneath. you could also restamp it of course. Best option would be to find another complied frame, but that wont be easy these days, they rarely come up now.

Er... the 1XH is an F2... not smaller, same size bike, just smaller ccs.

We didnt call them F'anything here, they were RZRs and the F2 was our first real F... very few remain, another rare bike.

Ending a bikes life is never fun, Ive done it a few times, but sometimes you just have to do it... guys on here would be glad of the parts, if its a complete bike it may well yeild some of the rare parts as well.. always nice.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

I'm in the same boat in many respects, left my bikes in UK 6 years ago, long story short pressure and emigration, didn't think I could get them over here.
Now I am in the "re-acquire" or collection phase, but that is turning out to be a lot less expensive than the forthcoming "restoration" phase.
RZ's are great, converting to 350 is a challenge and expense on top. At least one of yours is a 350 to start with, maybe you could swap parts around to get one ideal, then use the rest as an experiment, a trackday bike or something.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.