RZ250/350 Fuel Tank

Looking for a part?
Gavin
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

RZ250/350 Fuel Tank

Post by Gavin »

Hi,
Long shot but thought I'd put it out there so you know I'm also on the long list of people looking for a tank. It will need to fit an '86 1WY or 1XH. I have a very rusty one if someone can work miracles.

Now let's see if I can post pics.....

I see in previous forums that a better chance is Japan. Has anyone succeeded down this path?

cheers
G
86 RZ250F restored. 84 RZ500 rebuild in progress, 73 CT3 in progress
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

RZ250/350 Fuel Tank

Post by Greasemeup »

I got another forum member, who runs New Era Imports, to package up & ship one over for me. Keep in mind that the value in Japan of classic tanks is well known so with freight, a good one won't be cheap. For around 1k you can get a freshly painted full body set for an RD, a YPVS tank in good nick will sell for circa 800. Better than 2k for a new one.
Show us a full tank pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Greasemeup on Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: RZ250/350 Fuel Tank

Post by JonW »

Ohh thats a nasty one Gavin! Assume thats the F1?

Thinking about your bikes... you want an F2 350... you have a seized F2, and a spare F2 motor from the F1, maybe just think of it like you have a bunch of F1 spares to sell that will help pay for your F2 that you wanted with a spare motor. :)
Gavin
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Gavin »

GMU - Here's the pics of the complete tank. Would it really be that hard to make after market tanks. Seems there's a huge market potential here looking at the prices people are paying.

Gavin
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Gavin »

Jon,
This tank is the 250 (1AH) or the mini F2 as I called it. Mini was referring to the smaller cc.
The 1GA 250/350 bike has the offset tank cap as per below:

Fairly recognisable paint job, but the tank seems in good condition. A bit of filler here and there is starting to bubble but it feels solid elsewhere.

Apologies if I've managed to confuse you with the models. It's taken me 3 weeks to work out what I have.

I started thinking along the lines of pulling the 350 motor out of the F1 and moving it into the F2 seized bike. Then sell off all the bit on the F1 to see if I can recover my money.
Just seems a lot of work breaking a bike and posting bits and pieces off all day.
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

RZ250/350 Fuel Tank

Post by Greasemeup »

It seems both Gavin & LB both want the same tank. To me it's worth a tank in similar or better condition only, suitable for the 1AH / 1GA.

LB has first dibs, he did ask first.

JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Gavin, if you dont want the hassle of selling off the parts, offer them first to guys here, freebies are alwasy welcome LOL! :D

Yes 1GA is an F1 everywhere except here... have a look at my 2msoked.com F1 build, click the 'why' page and read down, it covers a lot of stuff but might make a godo read.

For full model info check rd350lc.net and find the 'what model do i have' page.

Colours on the 1GA are nasty, but the bike looks very whole and the N/F2 footrests are a nice touch...
Gavin
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Gavin »

GMU, do you have a pic or your tank?
When will you know if yours is up for grabs?

I found this on Ebay. Any way we can avoid bidding against each other on items like this?
Ebay - 291378375909
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Hmm, Canada has very expensive post, but they do have a seamail option which is the only way a used fuel tank can travel...

I promise I wont bid against you... Ive no reason to do so, I have no F/N2s lol.
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

Hey Gavin,

Search posts for "woot woot" and you will see a picture. I don't know how to quote from another thread.

I must get in contact with LB first, I will send him a PM.

L.B.
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by L.B. »

I am sorry GMU for delay,shift work is a bastard!
I sent you a pm mate.
Also just throwing this out there,seems like good prices,you may have to join forum to see adds,
http://usa2strokers.com/forum/forum_pos ... -nos-stuff
Rocketrz
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Post by Rocketrz »

G'day folks, I'm new to this forum but I have a bit of info to offer on the mythical RZ 250/350 fuel tank. As i'm building an RZ350 track bike and need a tank of course so I decided to buy one from EBay. Not a huge mistake but not a great outcome. Fair to say it needs lots of mods to be anywhere near acceptable. I contacted the seller in India, they manufacture from photos. So I've decided to make a tank myself. It won't be the same obviously but It doesn't need to be for what I'm doing.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Ahh, well thats solved that mystery then... "the seller in India, they manufacture from photos."

If only they made a bit more effort and did them from a pattern they might be on to a winner.

Im surprised you bought one really, any mention of them on the forums is usually accompanied with a string of bad reviews...

Interested to see how what you make comes out, tho I appreciate not for the purists etc.
smokin074
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by smokin074 »

Yes I can confirm the tanks listed from India on ebay for the RZ 1983 dont fit they are undersized , find genuine & repair put liner in only way out as we speak. Sorry to tell you. Costly but only way to move forward.
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by pkay »

I had a long discussion with my bike painter and repairer about tanks because over the last 5 years with the increase in interest in old bikes, stocks of good tanks have dried up meaning previously thrown away tanks are now being considered repairable (at a cost of course). Example: I am rebuilding a GPX750, a model which also had the tank rusting the day it was built just like our RZ/RDs. I went through 3 tanks to get a decent one but even that cost $1100 to fix, paint and decal up (and that was reduced from around $1600 it cost him to do the job). As GPXs get popular with the race set (channelling Robbie Phillis no doubt) tanks are drying up or becoming expensive. He is now saying that cutting out bottoms and welding in new will become the norm. Once he has a pattern for the bottom he reckons he can turn out the new tank for what our Indian friends are asking. Yet to be tested but he did an awesome job saving my GPX tank.