'86 250 YPVS Restore

Post your Project Bike threads here.
James W.
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: '86 250 YPVS Restore

Post by James W. »

I should add Gavin, that you need to ensure that handlebars are placed at an angle such that
the master cyl' is set at the very top of the brake lines, so allowing any trapped air can make it all the way up..
Gavin
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Gavin »

I did most of my work with the bike on the centre stand, but doing the brakes i found the side stand with the hard left turn had the MC at its highest and best level. If I was going to revisit the side and centre stand black, would you paint or powder coat? I found the rattle can black I used on the engine chips very easily even with clear coat.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
86 RZ250F restored. 84 RZ500 rebuild in progress, 73 CT3 in progress
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Paint or powder is the main thing restorers hotly debate... its more personal preference really, there are many pros and cons etc.
jools
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by jools »

Well, rattlecan paints are absolute crap. I suppose they have their place... If you just want to blow over something to con the next unfortunate owner, ok. But if you want a paint that is tough and resilient, you need powder coat or 2K. Tip: if you want a silver or black colour (there are other colours too), for things like sidestands, frame etc, find 2K SS paint. SS means 'Single Stage', which means you can spray direct onto (properly prepared) metal, no need for primer coats, and you don't need a clearcoat over the top to provide a chemical-resistant finish. Good gear!