DT200: In storage for years, gotta get 'em running...

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DT200: In storage for years, gotta get 'em running...

Post by hybrid »

It should start with no filter, and I would be surprised if it doesn't start even if its overflowing, but that depends on the carb design.

Before you even turn the fuel tap on, you could spray some fuel in the carb with the throttle open, then kick it to see if it fires. If it doesn't your issues probably aren't carb related.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
mugget
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by mugget »

Cheers hybrid. You're right - it did start! Just needed to tweak the idle screw. When I reassembled I just put it back how it was, which was 2 turns out. Turned it way in and it was all sweet. So - it's been a good week, pretty stoked to have it running!

The mechanic mate came over and figured that out for us... sacrificed his big toe in the process though. Kick starting in thongs, the footpeg is very close to the bottom kick lever position... ouch. :o Hopefully that's the last blood it claims for a while.

Still might have to sort the float level though. It does run & idle fine, and the carb doesn't leak when it's running. But when it's turned off the drain starts going again. I think for the moment my mate will just ride it as-is and just turn off the fuel tap when not riding.

Next mission is to seal the tanks... going to try and do that tonight so it can be ridden on Sunday. Then to get the 2nd DT200 (my one) running. 35,000km on the 2nd one compared to a just nicely broken in 13,000km on this. Hoping the 2nd one goes just as easy - will see soon enough!
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

good news... if these dont start its usualluy compression related... so I knew it would start when I read this :)

Dont rush the tank sealing, get them really really dry before adding the final seal... I cant see you riding on Sunday... sorry...
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

If it doesn't leak when it's running, it might not be a float height issue - it might be a leaking needle and seat.
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

These DTs are great bikes, I have a 94 that I bought to do the Scrapheap adventure ride last year. We had 3 DT200s and one DR250 but this year we have 8 DTs lined up already and looking for more victims/ riders if that interests you.
mugget
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Quick Update

Post by mugget »

I will come back with photos and a proper story, respond properly but I'm smashed after a massive weekend. Big effort to get this bike going... not that it was super hard or difficult work, just trying to do it all in an unrealistic timeframe! Down to the line, last minute rush starting at 7:30am this morning, keeping our riding buddies waiting for 2 hours... We finally got to the riding spot at 12pm. And to our amazement the DT200 was running!

Here is my novice riding style and DT200 in action:

Don't judge me too harshly, it's only my first time riding on dirt. First time riding the DT. I don't have my DT running yet, so I just took the XR400 motard. I regret nothing!

hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

:lol: nice