powervalve question dt200

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

powervalve question dt200

Post by twinrock »

Hey guys picked up another dt200r needed Electrics hooked back up..as ignition and lights were removed. As a matter of corse went ovr evrything and set powervalves turn ignition on and powervalves do their cycle , start the bike and the valves move to the closed position how ever rev the bike and they do not move to open position.., I have not tried riding the bike but im sure they should move once reved over 6tho rpm in neutral..atm there is no batt just hooked to a 12v power sorce Any help thanks..
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: powervalve question dt200

Post by JonW »

They should move when revved, sounds like a duff connection between the stator and the controller so its not seeing the revs at the controller. That or its dead, which seems unlikley as its doing the other stuff ok... 200R is the same controller as RZR 85, if you still have one.
mboddy
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by mboddy »

Controller the same? That is odd.
The controller IC has a pin to indicate whether it is fitted to a single or a twin.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Ok, I agree its not a straight swap, but the circuit board is the same as its the same 34X part number (only visible when opened up) which is a DT. Have a read of this as to how you mod from single to twin or vice versa :)

http://www.125ccsportsbikes.com/forums/ ... pic=100442
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by twinrock »

Yeah thats thats what I thought..should move I think about 6thou rpm..and seems strange as it does everything else as it should ....mmm gettting a lil tired of old dirt bikes..they get such a hard life. Ill keep at it
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Its all Aussie bikes LOL. In the UK if you have a 5 year old bike and it has 10,000 miles (16kms) then its well used and will be cheap, here the same age of bike would have 50,000 and no one bats an eyelid. Sure the uk is wetter, and people argue distances are smaller but the uk lot do love an EU trip even on sports bikes to chase the sun. Dirt bikes are the same. A 5 year old dirt bike will be mint usually, or tis basically free. Here we use everything to death and then it ends up on a farm and some 10yr old gets to put tractor plugs in it and 'modify' it until its 'perfect for jumps!'. When it dies a horrible death and the youngest kid is now 14 or 15 and buying better stuff they dads have realised the oldies are sought after and we usually end up taking it off their hands for too much coin... Sadly we cant stop this sickness and you will sin again Justin ;) :D
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by twinrock »

Ok so to recap.. the dt needs a batt for the power valves to run..I previously just had it hookerevdto 12v power supply..ie batt charger Which was enough to make the power valve run its its initial test but not work when engine was revdd
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

It needs 12v but dunno if it needs the battery as such. I expect if the stator is making 12v and the wiring is such that it can use it when its running, then its ok without the battery, but you would need something in place of the battery anyway long term so why not just buy a battery? a brand new wet unit would be say $20-25. That way you know you have power, if its not working after that you would suspect the controller and connections (which i still suspect)... borrow a battery off another bike even to test this stuff out before spending money.... etc.
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by twinrock »

Oh yeah I have a small gell batt from jaycar..I always use them..well the other thing about the bike is its only makin max 8 volts at the batt terminal..I have tried 3 different regulators but all the same result..I get up to 40volts AC going into regulator..so. not sure whats going on..
2TInstitute
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by 2TInstitute »

should be around 13-14v I would expect 90-110V ac from the stator
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by twinrock »

Ahh ok..will get onto it..thanks again guys..hey lozza didnt u work on a dt200r with some pretty good hpr results..anymore info on that?
2TInstitute
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by 2TInstitute »

yeah Mat (CBR600) might be able to tell you more, was completely de-DT'd (ha ha DDT geddit psssssssst I'm on fire boom tish) I haven't spoken to him for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3wicdQKcn0