stem swap question

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

stem swap question

Post by twinrock »

Im lookin at swaping front end on a bike and easiest solution looks to be swaping the stem..is it just a simple press out or does it needed to be heated up..both bottom tripple clamps are aliminium thanks
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: stem swap question

Post by hybrid »

Press should work fine, but you could try some heat on the triple if it doesn't move.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

heat wont hurt it, but they usually press out fine, tho it does depend on the bike and the triple being used.
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by twinrock »

If u wanna know jon just ask..dont dance around it..lol its a wr200 front end on a dt200..I got it thinking it would just bolt in..as the dt is the same bolt on fit as dt175 ,rz fzr , r6 and prob a dozen more..but nope the same year wr200 with the same motor they changed it..I know the wr frame is baced on a yz125..any way thanks for the reply..
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

LOL, I would also have assumed it would bolt right on as well but as you say the WR is based on a YZ not the road bike stuff so will be longer. you could also run spacers, but if the pins are the same and it will fit then thats a more elegant solution you are suggesting :)
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by twinrock »

Well the length longer and yes spaces could be used..but the diameter of the stem on the wr is smaller and runs smaller bearingins both OD and ID So the cleanest sulotion is swap stem then machine the wr one to fit the bigger dt one
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Or you could check the bearings tables and find a bearing that fits the ID and OD that you need, thats where I usually start. Check the hints and tips section of the RDRZ500's 350 forum as Ive linked the tables on there for this stuff and also axles etc.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Yeah that's the way I would go first. Might be an off the shelf bearing that will work.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by twinrock »

Yeah I usually would go that way too..how ever it would also need a 25mm spacer..bit ugly..
2TInstitute
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by 2TInstitute »

check for roll pins OD of the stem under the bottom cone and the OD of the stem under the bottom clamp . WR 200 is indeed a YZ125 frame
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

very good point Lozza! I should have said that, those things are a mare if you have them in the triples, and you need to remove (probably with a drill if they are deep in) em before pressing of course.
jools58
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by jools58 »

There may also be circlips = press the stem the opposite way slightly to create enough clearance to get the circlip out
One day lad all this will be yours............