The Good Use of a Wheelie Bin

Off-Topic chat... chat about anything here.
mugget
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Re: The Good Use of a Wheelie Bin

Post by mugget »

Haha, that's pretty nifty!

Molasses seems to be fairly useful... just as a side point you can also mix it with water (enough to be sprayable) and put it on your lawn as a fertiliser and to revive struggling patches. Apparently! I bought 20L molasses and gave that a try on the lawn... didn't notice so much improvement. Just really needed some good consistent rain/watering I think!

But at least that mix won't hurt anything when you tip it on your lawn, may even do some good! Bonus!
James P
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by James P »

OzzyElsie wrote:Ag suppliers are probably a better bet for value through quantity, it is used as stock feed. I haven't sussed them out yet but I think you might be talking 10-20lt drums and $30-50 costs - both cost and quantity (then storage of the unused portion) requires a commitment from a small time used such as myself - hence the experiment.
I got a 10 litre bucket of molasses from a stock feed place at Wentworthville for about $20, although it was more than 15 years ago! I think the place is no longer there.
I was told at the time (by those who knew) that equal volumes of molasses and water was the "correct" mixture. It did work, although I didn't manage to take maximum advantage at the time. I'm considering giving it another go now for small bits and pieces, although I may have to start off with the couple-of-jars-from-Coles method!

At the moment, I'm still getting reasonable results by using secondhand MetalReady from my POR-15 fuel tank repair kits. This is fine for small bits & pieces, but I couldn't afford to buy enough of it to fill a wheelie bin! :lol:

Regards,
James
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

It certainly worked......

This is after I pressure wash it and left it 90 minutes - it flash rusted. I have now WD'ed it :roll:

This (is not a good shot) of the before and after.

So it works although slow, and still there is more to do. I didn't use enough molasses, about 5%, although I don't think 50%, as suggested, is needed. Exactly what a 50% mix would achieve and how quickly might be the subject of a new experiment :twisted: .

My feelings are that it is better to go straight to sand/bead blasting - but at $100-200 a frame - I've still got lots of work to do. The angle grinder with a wire wheel might get bit of a work out.
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

For your experiment I reckon if your budget is tight that its an ok idea to do this, wire wheel it and then paint it yourself, but the easiest way (as usual) is to hand it to someone else and let them do it of course.

Ive found a lot of blasters moan if they see any dirt or oil / grease on the frame, so even if you do this and then too it it it would save you grief...