The Good Use of a Wheelie Bin

Off-Topic chat... chat about anything here.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

The Good Use of a Wheelie Bin

Post by OzzyElsie »

Image :D

Rust removal with water and molasses. A week this way and then inverted it for another week. I've done a tank before and it worked well but this is an experiment. I'll let you know 8) .

"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: The Good Use of a Wheelie Bin

Post by JonW »

Excellent!

I once bought an Ex-racers stock of RZ parts, the elecricals were kept in a green wheelie bin :)
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

You've wheelie bin using your head on this one.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Wheelie good idea
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Now, stick some washing crystals in, a few anodes....
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

BRG1200 wrote:Now, stick some washing crystals in, a few anodes....
.....peas, potatoes, carrots and onions???? :mrgreen:

As I said; an experiment. I'll try electrolysis another time, unless you beat me to it :P

At least with electrolysis it would be done and dusted by now. :roll: This is my 'green' bin and I'll need it to get rid of the green rubbish in a fortnight's time. So its a week one way and a week the other. If that is not enough time I'll be making an unwanted choice - but saving this much brew ain't one of them..
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Some of the fellas on the Mustang forum I frequent have used this method with good results.
I'd expect yours to work well too.

I think they had their tub covered though. Not sure if it makes any difference.
Here is another method discussed. Might be more suited to smaller parts.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/show ... p?t=203018
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

hybrid wrote:Some of the fellas on the Mustang forum I frequent have used this method with good results.
I'd expect yours to work well too.

I think they had their tub covered though. Not sure if it makes any difference.
Here is another method discussed. Might be more suited to smaller parts.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/show ... p?t=203018
An interesting article but they were using vinegar and salt making a weak acid that has to be safely disposed.

I not sure of the chemical reaction of the molasses is but last time I just threw the resulting molasses, water and rust on to the front lawn without issues.

The time factor is about the same.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Is that an EPA van parked outside your house? =:-o
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

I made the slightly rhetorical statement "not sure of the chemical reaction of the molasses" so I asked Google the question and got.............

"Answer
Molasses contains chelating agents. These are made of molecules that are shaped a bit like the claws of a crab--the word chelating comes directly from the Latin word chele, meaning claw. They can envelop metal atoms on the surface of an object, trapping them and removing them. Molasses owes its properties to cyclic hydroxamic acids which are powerful chelators of iron.

More of these compounds are found if the molasses is derived from sugar beet rather than cane sugar. The plants from which molasses is made presumably use these chelating agents to help them extract minerals from the soil. Interestingly, there are aerobic microorganisms that use similar cyclic hydroxamic acids to scavenge iron. So plants and microbes appear to use the same chelation strategy to obtain their daily ration of iron.

Ben Selinger, Department of Chemistry, Australian National University. Ben Selinger is the author of Chemistry in the Marketplace and Why the Watermelon will not Ripen in your Armpit (Allen & Unwin)"

http://magichammer.freeservers.com/removing___rust.htm

I'm really done the wiser (I should have paid more attention during chemistry while at school :roll: ) but I take it that hydroxamic acids to naturally occurring and compatible with organic matter (in the sugar cane and my front lawn). I take it that the iron oxide is not chemically changed but bonds to the hydroxamic acid and floated away. Or sometink :oops:
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

In my internet travels I read that the parts should be taken out and pressure washed to get rid of the built up slime on the surface and allow the brew get to fresh rust for munching.

Did that this arvo.

The results were there but not dramatic. I don't think I put enough molasses in - hey its an experiment okay :twisted: . I'll see what another two days does before I flip it. The choice will be to leave it longer or more molasses.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

For the experiment I got 3 jars from Coles, the Health Food section 8O , $4 a jar.

Ag suppliers are probably a better bet for value through quantity, it is used as stock feed. I haven't sussed them out yet but I think you might be talking 10-20lt drums and $30-50 costs - both cost and quantity (then storage of the unused portion) requires a commitment from a small time used such as myself - hence the experiment.

Stock food source might also be higher phosphate content and thus be more effective - or so I've read on the internet :) . The experiment continues.

I'm liking molasses because it is mild only attacking the rust and I think handling, potential accidents and disposal are all minimal risks. I'm also liking electrolysis but the handling and disposal of chemicals might be more of an issue. But speed of process is a bonus.

The experiment continues.Image