Geaseless Bearings.

Off-Topic chat... chat about anything here.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Geaseless Bearings.

Post by OzzyElsie »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9O5QQuFgrc

Cunning little devils. Simplicity itself - I love it.

So simple and such a simple variation of the current design and manufacture, I can see it being adapted quickly and easily - if it proves its worth.

And I think it will. Sometimes 'too good to be true' proves to be just that, not based on any obvious principle of science physics or mechanics (where does it get its advantage). This is based on a simple, understandable and ingenious principle.

So simple and I can see it being applied and giving advantage and increased efficiency and energy savings with about everything in modern life, from electric motors to car engine, push bikes and everything in between. What percentage improvement in the overall scheme of the mechanics of things remains to be seen but even incremental increases should be significant.

And retro fit-able probably :D .

Also the answer to lubing the bottom end of a 2t engine. Will we see new interest and further development. Will we be able to retro fit them to the venerable LC :D - improved reliability, more HP, roll resistance, longer service life?
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Geaseless Bearings.

Post by hybrid »

Interesting concept for sure.
I wonder how things change when operating forces and heat are applied to them.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

Good. Wonder if they are performance over life though? Will the separating "humps" wear out, leaving a worn out sprocket kinda lumpy bearing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

Greasemeup wrote:Good. Wonder if they are performance over life though? Will the separating "humps" wear out, leaving a worn out sprocket kinda lumpy bearing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree (which is what I meant by "if it proves its worth.")

I suspected there would be a 'peak load' at that point but my physic/engineering ain't good enough to be certain. The shape will give a gradual 'ram up' effect and the contact patch on the ball bearing is running up and down the ball.

I can also imagine the variation of accelerating and decelerating of the ball might causing vibrations or similar forces of some scale. Might be better is some applications rather than others.

But 'has promise' I would have thought. I want to see it being tested in the various applications.

What happened to ceramic ball bearings, they came out with a lot of promise. Do cutting edge F1 and MotoGP bikes run super trick 'replace every race' bearings?
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Ceramic are still used in turbos... generally cost a lot more than the normal bearings.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's