KTM 300 EXC countershaft oil leak

Topics regarding other 2Stroke bikes, Customs etc
DD289
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

KTM 300 EXC countershaft oil leak

Post by DD289 »

G'day guys, after a 15 year hiatus from dirt bikes I've jumped back in with a 2013 KTM 300 EXC. Only ride so far is a quick blast up the road, and I'm pleased to say it goes like a rocket. Plan to get it out on the dirt ASAP and see what she can do.

The bloke I purchased it from commented that if you leave it parked on the side stand that it will leak oil from the countershaft, and that apparently this is common with the KTM's. I'm taking this with a grain of salt at this point, but as I have not got myself a lift stand I have parked it over the weekend on the sidestand, and sure enough there's a bit of oil on the floor. Any comments about whether it may only occur when leaned over, or is this indicative that the seal and/or shaft is damaged?

Cheers.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: KTM 300 EXC countershaft oil leak

Post by JonW »

I would say they may well all do that, but they shouldnt... it sounds like a leaky seal behind the sprocket. Dirt bikes kick up dirt into the seal/shaft-spacer setup and they wear. This can happen on any dirt bike ive found and depending on how easy it is to get the seal out depends on how quick it is to fix. Some you need to spit the cases on, some you just pull the seal. Last KTM I did was an LC4 and it was a pull job, fixed it up a treat.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: KTM 300 EXC countershaft oil leak

Post by hybrid »

Welcome Doug! Good to see you found your way over here.

I think Lozza (2TInstitute) has played with some dirt bikes, and may have seen this particular beast... not sure. He comes here for a look now and then.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's