TR3 Inspired RD400 project

Post your Project Bike threads here.
Wizz
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

TR3 Inspired RD400 project

Post by Wizz »

Hi all, new member here from Newcastle NSW.
Long time bike (2stroke) nut, currently in the process of building a air cooled RD with my dad.
He is actively involved in the vintage motor scene (building/riding old Nortons) n about 8 years ago he dragged me along to a classic race meet at Sydney Motorsport Park. I was bitten hard by the RD race bike bug n so the search was on for a suitable donor race bike.
Through the old boys network of mates in the vintage club we found a bloke that raced a 1974 RD350 in the 70's. The call was made n he was happy to sell :D
It was a true barn fined.....as we had to drag it out of a old overgrown weed covered chook shed. But it was worth it as the bike a little busted up, mostly complete, had been fitted with genuine TR3 barrels, heads, pistons, 36mm carbs n big pipes. A genuine kit supplied to racers in the 70's by Yamaha to get ur street going RD into race form. This was all well before smart phones but i do believe i have some pics as she was when we got her home. I will endeavour to find them.
So skip a few (8ish) years n the bike has sat idle while life happend e.g. traveling, house, marriage, kids.....but the time has come to finally get it built.
Plans have changed a little as we have picked up a few spare engines n a second frame. Most recently i have bought some 400 barrels/heads out of Tazy n sourced a 1975ish 400 bottom end out of Sydney, they should arrive any day now. It will be registered n we will build the 400 as a street motor n the 350 (with TR3 heads) as a race motor hopefully with a close ratio box. This way i can simple swap over engines when we go racing n stay within the period race rules.
Anyway, to much rambling here are some picks of her through the build n as it stands now.
ImageImageImageImageImage
I will get a proper list of parts with pics to be added soon.
Modifications at present.
Frame de-tabbed stripped of unwanted stuff
Replica TR3 seat n tank from England
New mud slinger rims n stainless spokes
XS650 forks n break disk
Early DT1 swing arm (inch longer than RD)
Last edited by Wizz on Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: TR3 Inspired RD400 project

Post by OzzyElsie »

With ya tidy garage and all that room I'm already jealious :twisted:

Should be an interesting project. Did I read it right that you are going to set it up to swap between a street bike and a race bike?

I'm surprised that TR race replicas haven't been a more popular custom look both from the general public and Yamaha doing retro styling or trading on their race image.

I love the look of the mud catcher rims. Are you staying traditional with a Yamaha white tank and fairing with red stripes and race markings?
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
Wizz
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by Wizz »

Thanks mate.....i try n keep it clean haha.
Yes the plan is to be able to slot in the 350 motor when/if we go racing. In reality I'm now thinking of building up a dedicated racer with the second frame i have. Time will tell.
Yes i love the look of the TR3 race bikes n i can only assume people may be put off by the purchase price of replica tanks n seats? The bike came with a full piece fairing but i won't use that for the street. Yes i will stay with the traditional white n red scheme.....
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

looking good Wizz, the bike has nice stance and proportions.
They do look great, the naked racers from this period, good choice.
I'll make you an offer for that LC tank on the shelf!
I've picked up a ratty 400 and was mulling over options, but I'm still in the wife and kids phase you mentioned. Was considering old school racey look or lightly stripped cafe.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

looking at the lugs on those XS forks do you have a twin disc option?
Are the XS forks same diameter as RD?
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

That's gonna look great! Looking forward to progress.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
Wizz
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by Wizz »

Thanks hybrid

Cheers BRG1200, unfortunately i think the tank was sold but will double check n get back to u. Sounds like a good project mate, I'm sure ither option will look great.
Yes the XS forks are the same diameter as the RD forks n they do allow u to run twin disk. however i will only be running with one disk as they are a large diameter than the RD disk. Talking to guys who race with this setup, they say that a single disk setup is more than adequate.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Cool. I'm looking at front end options as my barn find 400 has rusted stanchions and the caliper looks pretty well toast now I've pulled it off and started cleaning it up.
May have just found some good daytona stanchions, but pricey and sliders not so good, no brakes etc. Tempted to chuck a much later front end on, but wanted to keep it looking "period" though not particularly original.
There's a red 400 lightly "Hipster-cafe'd" on google images with a shortened tail - somewhere between what you're doing and that is where I'd like mine to end up.

Would be exceedingly interested if the LC tank or other LC bits were available!
Wizz
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by Wizz »

Ok cool. I will check out google pics for ur inspiration :D
U should seriously consider XS650 forks if u can not use the RD's as they have that period look, bigger disk break (or twin if u desire) while still using stock RD calliper, more adjustability with rebound/compression n its an easy swap.
Sorry but the old boy sold the tank n all uther LC bits.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Will have a look for XS bits - thanks for info :-)
Wizz
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by Wizz »

:D Always brightens ur afternoon to see a package full of RD goods sitting on ur door step.
400 barrels n heads arrived. So stocked with these, got them at a bargain price too.Image
Only downside to them is the left hand cylinder head which has some detonation marks or ither something has let go n gave it a bashing. Should be able to get it fixed though.Image
Wizz
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by Wizz »

Also can anyone recommend a good two stroke engine builder to work there magic on these heads?
I want to bump the compression up a little, tidy the ports up and apparently some metal needs to be removed from the inlet to fit the V Force reed blocks.
Any info much appreciated.
2TInstitute
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by 2TInstitute »

Yeah I might be able to help I'm in Newcastle

zero four one nine , two six eight, zero six one
Wizz
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by Wizz »

Thanks for the offer 2TInstutute. Since writing my last post i have been in talks with Jim Morris from Camden Haven Moyorcycles (i am originally from up that way n my old boy still lives up there) n he will be building the 400 once i have sourced all the goodies to go in it. I am confident in there work as they have built a fair few RD engines for period racing.
I have a few 350 engines that I may yet build so i will get in contact with u regarding them mate :thumbs:
Wizz
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by Wizz »

Last wknd i picked up my bottom end from Sydney. Not in the best shape as the guy was a XS dude that bought a whole heap of XS650/750 gear from a wreckers closing down sale n the RD400 bottom end was amongst all of this. But i got it for an absolute steal n it looks worse than it is. Its all in one piece minus the oil pump, ignition/front sprocket covers....... which i have now sourced from a ACT wrecker.
Will look a million bucks once stripped n cleaned, but i have to show the before n after pics right :popcorn: Image
Last edited by Wizz on Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.