TR3 Inspired RD400 project

Post your Project Bike threads here.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: TR3 Inspired RD400 project

Post by JonW »

sounds and looks like it came from Brysons... but, yeah youre right, it will be fine when done :)
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by twinrock »

A good front end swap is fzr 250.. will bold straight on..u can still use your wheel and put a fzr disc on it as the patern is the same..can be all bought very cheap too..digging the bike tho..I kinda regret selling my rd project..
Wizz
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by Wizz »

Cheers guys.
More pieces of the puzzle turned up today. Funny enough the ignition cover doesn't want to sit on/over the motor as the it fouls on the little pick up/sender thing. Was there differences between 400 covers/bottom ends?
Not to worried though as i will be replacing the ignition system for a Powerdynamo CDI Ignition and battery eliminator http://www.hvccycle.com/ignition-cdi.html
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

If ya gonna piss about with a custom make it worth the effort and make a RD800 :twisted:

http://classic-motorbikes.net/wp/yamaha ... t-special/

Get cutting and get serious :wink: :D
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
Wizz
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by Wizz »

Oh wow. That is insane, what a build.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

Are your drills sharp............
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
Wizz
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by Wizz »

Ozzy that RD is super cool, I read the build artical on it a couple of wks back. Great mix of retro n modern.
Nothing new to add to the build atm. I'm getting married in a couple of wks so there's not a lot left over for the RD until wedding by n honeymoon are out of the way.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Oh boy, that'll be the last post then.....
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

Hiya Wizz. Congratulations on your nuptuals. I hope it all goes/went well and by now your swanning around in some, sun drenched tropical paradise honeymoon heaven. Good onya mate.

Loving your build here, it looks fantastic.

I ran across your thread because I've recently embarked on a similar project. I was helping out a mate on an SR he has, and while looking for bits for that, found a very ratty TD/TR tank and seat which has started a bit of a chain of events...... A free '75 RD bottom end then turned up and I've since found a DS7 frame and front end, so it's looking like it might come together as a reed valve TR3 replica, or rather some sort of RDSTR frankenmonster......

It looks like a few of the guys around here are doing RD/TR conversions so I guess I will start another thread at some point as the bits come together and add to the conversation. Always good to have other people's input and knowledge.

Enjoy the honeymoon mate! Look forward to an update when your back and I have a bunch of questions for you too. Cheers, Ged.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wizz
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by Wizz »

Hi ged, i should have said a month or so as the wedding is not till the 19th of this month....but thanks for the well wishes.
It sounds like ur onto a winner with ur project bud and it would be great to see a build thread if u get the time. Its a great conversion with so many options mod wise with how u can build the bike to suit ur own style or particular planned use of the bike.
No updates still as the wedding is emptying my pockets fast.......truthfully i can not wait to get back to normality after the wedding/honeymoon n really sink my teeth into the RD. I want to get it on the road asap n i will definitely keep u guys updated.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Ah... Such youthful naiivety and enthusiasm.
Marriage, kids, empty pockets.... ;-)
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

BRG1200 wrote:Ah... Such youthful naiivety and enthusiasm.
Marriage, kids, empty pockets.... ;-)
.......and the sleep of the 'just after' :D
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

Ohhhhh, you guys are so cynical! But, I sure know where your coming from.

There are so many competing priorities at that stage of life and looking back, there's a lot of stuff I'd do differently, but old motorcycles have been a constant theme through all of it for me and I reckon it's what kept me (mostly) sane. I've still got the 1954 BSA I picked up when my son was a tacker, and he's now 23 and it's still not completely finished. I could never bring myself to sell it because it was such a part of my kids growing up.......

So Wiz, what are the rims you've used? I'm hunting around for options at the moment and only seem to turn up crappy looking Chinese stuff or unaffordable Akronts. I've got 2 sets of rims to build up over the next couple of months so a good lead there would be really handy.

The only other 2 question marks in my head at the moment on a TR/RD conversion relate to keeping it road registerable, if either of us end up doing that. I'm thinking of using a TR style full fairing, but the standard side stand won't work with that? Anyone seen any solutions for that? And the other issue is the kickstarter, which I can see wanting to foul rear sets and brake pedal?

That's a dead sexy rear brake on your bike too! What did that hub and back plate come out of?

I've been up to my armpits in fibreglass for 2 days trying to resurrect this TD tank I've got...... What a mess! But the good news is that it will come back to life, so I'll get around to starting my own thread when I have some pictures worth posting.

Cheers mate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

ged wrote: That's a dead sexy rear brake on your bike too! What did that hub and back plate come out of?
Image[/url]Image

That's your standard '60's-70's Yammy cush drive rear hub isn't it? YDS YR1 DS6 a/c RD's - the mud-catchers are something special though :D .
Wizz
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by Wizz »

Yes Ozzy is correct they are standard RD hubs, but the previous owner drilled a heap of holes into the cover. Their is no order of how he has done it n its not the neatest of jobs but at a guess he could have done it at the track hastily to try n remedy a over heating problem? I was going to replace it, but once i had it sandblasted it looked really cool so ill stick with it 8)
The rims are by Excel n they cost me a bomb but do look the goods. I sourced them n the stainless spokes from USA some time ago when our dollar was up.
I have sourced a relocation side stand kit from HVCcycle http://www.hvccycle.net/stand-and-footrest/ but I'm unsure where this will go until i get some pipes. I am a Fitter/Welder by trade so i will make it work.
I have some second hand OEM ZX7 foot pegs/rear sets that apparently will bolt on without much modifying. A few of the boys racing RD's use these but a lot of them don't have to kickstart their bikes so time will tell if i run into trouble?
:cheers: