Wire

Off-Topic chat... chat about anything here.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Wire

Post by BRG1200 »

This is an odd question, but what wire is typically used in Yamaha looms and where can we get equivalent?
Thinking about repairs to looms etc.
Also, not necessarily identical to original but is there an easy source of block connectors?
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
James P
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Re: Wire

Post by James P »

I've never checked the size of wire in Yamaha looms, but it should be simple enough if you have some scrap pieces (count number of strands, measure diameter of each strand, measure OD of PVC insulation).
Years ago, I bought rolls of common solid colours from a firm in Moorebank NSW, which made wiring looms for industrial machinery. You may be able to find a similar company in your neck of the woods.

For terminals (spades, bullets etc.); watch out for Ebay sellers, because some sell poor quality terminals - the material is a little too thin for my liking. Dick Smith used to sell packs of brass terminals of good quality and Jaycar sometimes still does. However, for terminals, plastic block connectors and other bike-specific stuff, try:

http://cycleterminal.com/

I have used this supplier a few times. He stocks many original-spec connectors, the prices are reasonable and the brass terminals he sells are good quality. The postage prices from USA are a little steep (not his fault), but perhaps bearable if you order a decent quantity.

Regards,
James
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

old looms are also a good source of the right colours, just make sure the wire isnt oxidised and youre good to go :)
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

thanks fellas, will try the supplier, old looms getting expensive.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
2TInstitute
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by 2TInstitute »

Look up "oz hotwire" on ebay they have heaps of assorted colours
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by pkay »

Good advice
If I am after a solid colour I just take a piece of the old one down to Jaycar and match it to the looms they have there. Or on the GPz600 I replaced the whole wire and just amended my wiring diagram with the colour again with wire from Jaycar..