anyone bored out a carb

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

anyone bored out a carb

Post by twinrock »

I Was lookin at "upgrading" the carb for my dt has a 28mm flatslide powerjet carb..which is pretty small a brand new carb would mean id have to rejet from scratch I have 2 spare carbs and thought maybe I could bore one out Maybe 30mm.. not sure how difficult it is..or how I go about having it done..any help would be great thanks
Link
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: anyone bored out a carb

Post by Link »

Hi Twin rock its a pain in the arse. you normally have to offset bore them or the bottom is too low for the slide to get a good idle. some are not so hard like vm34 mikuni to 35 but id say a wild guess you will struggle to get 30 out of a 28. my rg500 has 31.5 out of 28 flat slides so it does depend on the model and the lower floor depths and may be possible but paying someone usually costs a lot. If you can buy a 30 off something similar and save the hastle. A yz or other make crosser of same cc will be pretty good jet wise out of the bag. Link
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by twinrock »

Yeah I think your right..the problem with another carb is that the dt has a down draft carb..same as tzr..hard to find a carb 30/32mm like that..I know rgv run a 34..think that will be too big..ill try to get a wr200 carb..
mboddy
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by mboddy »

Early RGV250 VJ21 were 32mm.
mekros
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by mekros »

NSR carbs are 32mm
James P
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by James P »

You could also try a carb from a Suzuki TS250X. Some were 32mm and some were 34mm (I'm not sure which size was fitted to which variant though). Both were "normal" Mikuni TM-style flat-slides (slide at 90 degrees to bore), so that may rule them out if you definitely need an angled bore.

There is also a TMX30 genuine Mikuni aftermarket carb available. This MAY be similar to the standard DT200WR 3XP carb. Whatever the case, I think it may fit the standard DT200R inlet rubber. I think the TMX30s are/were more popular in Japan and Europe, so you may be able to pick one up secondhand from abroad.

Regards,
James
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by twinrock »

Thanks guys all good info..at this stage i think im going to splash out and buy a new lectron