lectron and smart carbs advice?

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

lectron and smart carbs advice?

Post by twinrock »

As in my other post im lookin at a better carb option..I was reading about efi kits for 2 strokes when I came across the 2 stroke smart carb http://www.powerapt.com I have also read comparissons with lectrons.. I know mboddy uses them but know very lil..but Mark id love to know more. Yes both carbs expensive esp for a twin..but I think a self monitoring jetless carb would be fantastic.
mboddy
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: lectron and smart carbs advice?

Post by mboddy »

What do you want to fit them to?
If you have a RZ350 or 350 LC then a pair of 28mm PWKs are well regarded.
For single 2 stroke dirt bike 35mm or 38mm PWK Airstrikers also look good.

I have been using Lectron Powerjet carbs since 1982 with great results.
Easy to tune and the best power when at full throttle.
Clear plastic float bowls.
With adjustable powerjet you have no jets. Tune via rod and fine tune top end with screwdriver.

My first set of 32mm Powerjet Lectrons on my RD350LC gave extra 50km per tank of fuel.
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by twinrock »

I will be fitting it to a dt200r..I like the thought of the jetless power jet lectrons..the 28mm carb on the dt is a let down I think..especially when engine is modded..not even an air mix screw..so I plan to "up grade" carbs the lectrons are quite reasonable price wise for a 34mm..but the APT smart carb is said to be better bottom to mid ..with the lectron being more for WOT..?? Today was a perfect example..this morning rode to work bike felt good..rode to training tonight bike felt crappy..the smart carb is suppose to self adjust to the atmospheric changes 2 strokes are more susceptible to.dont ask me how as there is no clear answer.does the lectrons also work like this..? And yeah both cards are said to vastly improve fuel economy due to the better precision fueling..Mark do you have any lectrons for sale in the 30 to 34mm range?
mboddy
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by mboddy »

Lectron will also be less susceptable.
I don't have any for sale. The smaller ones are harder to find.
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by twinrock »

Yeah just had a good read on the lectron site..I think its the go ..do u think a 34mm would be ok..they are much cheaper then the 32mm lol
mboddy
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by mboddy »

34mm should be good with large pod filters.
Unlike Mikuni round slides, you can go a tad larger and not stuff your low end carburetion.

I have 34mm on my TZR250 2XT. It originally came with TM28 Mikuni.
34mm is the largest that could fit in the original manifolds.
But to make them fit the spigot was turned down in a lathe and then the inside of the manifolds were opened out with a porting tool.

twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by twinrock »

Well thats great to know as the tzr and dt run basically the same carb..so no issues withnfloat level due to the angle from crank case on the carb?.I put straight 32mm carbs on a tzr before with no issue..
mboddy
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by mboddy »

Lectrons have no pilot circuit and so can be run at steep angle compared to other carbs.
2TInstitute
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by 2TInstitute »

twinrock wrote:As in my other post im lookin at a better carb option..I was reading about efi kits for 2 strokes when I came across the 2 stroke smart carb http://www.powerapt.com I have also read comparissons with lectrons.. I know mboddy uses them but know very lil..but Mark id love to know more. Yes both carbs expensive esp for a twin..but I think a self monitoring jetless carb would be fantastic.
They are the best thing since sliced bread or complete shit depending on who you ask. I fall into the latter. A dellorto will work at a 30deg angle and infinitely more tunable. Besides the carby isn't what holds the DT 200 back ..................................
mboddy
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by mboddy »

What ever works for you. Plenty of carbs out there.
I have been using Lectrons for over 30 years and can easily get good results from them.
But lately been getting good results from round slide Mikunis with UFOs too.
If I didn't have so much Lectron and Mikuni stuff I would probably just fit PWKs.
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by twinrock »

2TInstitute wrote:
twinrock wrote:As in my other post im lookin at a better carb option..I was reading about efi kits for 2 strokes when I came across the 2 stroke smart carb http://www.powerapt.com I have also read comparissons with lectrons.. I know mboddy uses them but know very lil..but Mark id love to know more. Yes both carbs expensive esp for a twin..but I think a self monitoring jetless carb would be fantastic.
They are the best thing since sliced bread or complete shit depending on who you ask. I fall into the latter. A dellorto will work at a 30deg angle and infinitely more tunable. Besides the carby isn't what holds the DT 200 back ..................................
Well I have so far improved the overall performance with the exception of a pipe which is on its way soon, like stated the tzr had the same carb and I also changed them for a 32mm flatslide and was much better everywhere..my biggest gripe is the fact it has no air mix screw..so if im going to up grade carb just want to know pros and cons of high performance carbs..I have read that delortos are hard to tune and keep consistant??
2TInstitute
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by 2TInstitute »

TZR isn't the same carby it's a 28mm version of the RGV (TM 28SS and the RGV carb won't fit either) the idle mixture is tuned with the air corrector in the bellmouth. Dellorto's hard to tune........... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that would all be from the user. I can adjust the fuel curve in down to a small a range as 10% of throttle position WITHOUT changing the other 90%. Try that on you mikuni, keihin,Lectron, APT , Bing etc etc

Mark I found Lectrons to be either rich in the mid range and OK on top or OK in the mid and lean on top even with a power jet.

Even better again is soleniod controled air jets, that is rejetting with mouse clicks
mboddy
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by mboddy »

You can fine tune that on the Lectron by altering the length of the power jet tube.