Model designation

Topics regarding Suzuki 2Strokes
pronto41
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Model designation

Post by pronto41 »

Hi all, just bought a Suzuki RG250, import & wanted to know what model it maybe so I can accurately purchase parts etc. This question has probably been asked many times before & I did check out a few answers but am still a little confused. After digesting the aforementioned I think I have a RG250WD , the information I got with the bike is: Suzuki RG250 12/1985 Chassis GJ21B-100361, Eng J202=101127. I would love to purchase a manual & parts e.g. fork seals, brake pads etc but don't wish to purchase the wrong item ANY help is greatly appreciated, please go easy on this newbie.
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Model designation

Post by Greasemeup »

Put up a picture :) Pronto :))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pronto41
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Re: Model designation

Post by pronto41 »

OK will do tomorrow, it's the twin headlight model which I prefer over the rectangle lens.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

There are a few sites with model listings, I'llsee what I can find
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
pronto41
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by pronto41 »

Thanks BRG really appreciate that then I can get on ordering parts & a manual with confidence.
pronto41
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by pronto41 »

Hi greasemeup, sorry mate I forgot to take a couple of pics before I started to strip her down,I have a fair bit of work ahead of me. Today I ordered tyres, brake pads & fork seals & came home & took off the chambers all the bodywork except the tank, this looks like a bit of a struggle. Tomorrow first up is a ride on my Pegasus with a mate up through the mountains early. When I get back I will remove the wheels, old pads & give the chain/sprockets the once over then I'll be stuffed for the remainder of the day. Mate when I get it back I'll post a pic or two.
pronto41
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by pronto41 »

Hiya, I meant to ask, does anyone have any tips for de-coking the RG's pipe & muffler ?
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Many people set them on fire.
Some people use caustic soda (draino) in them.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
pronto41
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by pronto41 »

Thanks Hybrid, yep I've heard caustic soda/Draino works, i might give that a go tomorrow, cheers.
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

I don't remember a twin headlight RG250, the GSXR's 400-1100 had them but can't picture an RG?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GrahamQLD
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by GrahamQLD »

Be so damn careful with the caustic soda. Used it on my TDR pipes with hot water, got splashed on my hand, ended up in the emergency room with some pretty severe burns, only took a few seconds of contact! blisters bigger than 50 cent coins. Over a month to heal. I should have know better but I really didn't expect anything like that kind of a reaction.
It did work though!
pronto41
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by pronto41 »

Thanks Graham, yeah I actually decided to slip the mufflers off & plug one end with a 2cm dowel, half fill with kero, shake & empty, I'll try that tomorrow as today was all taken up with removing wheels, forks, pipes & cleaning calipers, sprockets etc & breaking the old chain. Pipes came up nice with a sanding & heat proof flat black. Pity the mufflers aren't able to be opened (except with a hacksaw or grinder) would make life easier.
After having a good look Greasemeup I reckon the twin headlight fairing is a la GSXR 400 like my old one & the headlight bracket is a nice fabrication job. I really like the twin headlight as opposed to the rectangular one, just a little bit of individualism. My bill at the locat bike shop is mounting with battery, chain, fork seals, tyres, brake pads etc. Managed to get a new airfilter on eBay from Poland of all places. I will run ATF in the gearbox but undecided on 2 stroke oil at this stage, on my T250 I used to run Fuchs & dribble a teaspoon of castor oil in the petrol tank, my mates all wanted to ride behind me after that. Any suggestion of 2 stroke oils ? Thanks again Graham about the caustic soda warning.
pronto41
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by pronto41 »

Almost ready for the pink slip inspection, just need a globe for the twin headlight system, one of them was a yellow globe, not legal here but I guess it is in Japan. It's an unusual style although it's a Stanley so I should be able to get one from an auto electrician, I've ordered two through eBay just in case. Everything else is done I think, just bled the brakes, they seem fine, can't wait to give it a run.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

I should have added - you can throw some bolts/nuts into the pipes with your solution to help break up the carbon when you shake it about.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
pronto41
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by pronto41 »

Took the RG for it's pink slip today, passed with flying colours, then to get it registered. I really enjoyed that first ride, what a blast, the acceleration, the sound, whoa I haven't had this much fun for quite a while, none of my 4 stroke sickles could match it. Looking forward to the next few days to hit the mountains & scuff those Pirelli's.