RG 250 Suspenders

Topics regarding Suzuki 2Strokes
pronto41
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

RG 250 Suspenders

Post by pronto41 »

Whilst the front end of my 85 RG behaves itself reasonably well in the twisties given a reasonable surface, the rear is quite stiff & tends to throw the bike off line when a mild bump is hit. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions for improving the little RG's handling on anything other than smooth corners, front & rear ? Of course the lightness of the little RG compounds the problem so maybe I'm looking for a miracle here ?
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Re: RG 250 Suspenders

Post by Greasemeup »

How much do you weigh? Have you set static sag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pronto41
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by pronto41 »

Hi Greasemeup, sorry bout the delayed response, been out of town. I weight 95kg & the sag upon sitting would not be more than 2cm, no air assist in the shock. Pushing down on the seat whilst on the stand returns very little movement, almost negligible. The front is manageable but riding down the mountain from Binaburra to Canungra shakes the specs off my nose, a bone jarring ride. Set the static sag, not sure what you mean here ?
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

RG 250 Suspenders

Post by Greasemeup »

Is your spring pre loaded, wound up to the stops?

Anyhow, not too complicated to rectify most likely. Watch this then apply what you learn, then watch as many of his videos as you can. :)

http://youtu.be/mK3flKxf41U

Your suspension type may limit your tune-ability but at least you will have a clear understanding of what your expecting from your suspension and what to do to improve it.

I think the "average" weight used on jap bikes rider & gear is 80kg so you shouldn't be to light for the spring, unless it has been changed from stock. Your chain isn't binding is it?

What colour is your spring? Any markings?

pronto41
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by pronto41 »

Thanks Greasemeup, I will inspect the shock this afternoon. Chain isn't binding, new chain & set OK, spring I believe is black. will check for any possible adjustment this afternoon & get back to you.
pronto41
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by pronto41 »

There is no adjustment on this rear shock I'm afraid, the spring just disapears into a hard black shroud with no avenue for adjustment at the top or bottom of the shock. I have heard that an early adjustable Yamaha R6 shock will fit but I think I will visit my local bike mechanic & see what he may suggest. This mechanic was employed at a Suzuki dealer when the RG's appeared here so he may know a trick or two.
2TInstitute
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by 2TInstitute »

fit some fork emulators and a decent rear shock
pronto41
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by pronto41 »

Hi 2Tinstitute, what recommendations do you have for rear shock ?
pronto41
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by pronto41 »

Further to my shock enquiry, after speaking with a couple of knowledgeable people I have ordered a Hagon shock from Suspension Improvements. Should take a couple of weeks to procure from the U.K. will update you on the improvement after a test ride. Obviously for a bike of this age availability/suitability is somewhat limited & even the Hagon & Wilburs need to be hand made to order.
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

RG 250 Suspenders

Post by Greasemeup »

+ 1 for 2T,s comments re emulators.
Your on the right path with a new rear shock, you will notice the limitations of non adjustable forks soon after fitting it.

Remember that even new suspension components will need to be "set up" so stay focused on getting the most out of your shiny new bits :)

pronto41
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by pronto41 »

Thanks Greasemeup I hear what your saying although fitting the new shock will definitely be an improvement over the current setup, $ dictates one step at a time so it will be an extended trial & error situation. As 2T said the emulators will require a necessary hard look but to get some compliance & adjustment into the rear will make the ride more enjoyable.
pronto41
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by pronto41 »

Hi Greasemeup, I got my nice shiny Hagon fully adjustable shock a few weeks back & removed the old one, what a mess, looks like someone has overdone the air assist & blown the seals resulting in what you see in the picture, the shock was also completely seized. Now I have what would appear to be a nice starting point. Yep I guess fitting this will bring to light the shortfalls of the forks but hey, little steps. Unfortunately I haven't been able to test ride as the day after fitting the shock I came down with pneumonia & spent a bit of time in hospital, doctors say it will be another 4 weeks before I can get enough oxygen into my lungs to do anything, I sound & feel like a turbocharged car that the turbo is stuffed anyway as soon as I can throw a leg over I will report back. (looks like I have forgotten how to post image)
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Jeez Pronto, that sucks, get well soon fella
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

Yeah, luck to your recovery, sounds like your having a shit time of it.

pronto41
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by pronto41 »

Hi Fellas thanks for your thoughts but unfortunately the pneumonia was the byproduct of what they have now found in my airbox, the big "C". Just had 1st round of chemo & meds that go with it & strangely enought I'm feeling a little better, 2nd round on Thu so I promised my mate if things improve I will give him & his CBR400RR a run up the mountain next week. The RG just looks at me with those little round eyes in the garage & makes me want to go for a spin, she'll give me the boost I need. Stay tuned fellas I ain't finished yet !