RZ350 Hybrid Rego

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
Yossairan

RZ350 Hybrid Rego

Post by Yossairan »

Hello,

I have a 1988 rz250 with the 350 engine upgrade. I have recently purchased an RGV front end and banana swing arm. I plan to turn the bike into an RZ/RGV hybrid. My question is in relation to registration. The bike is currently registered in Victoria and I wondering if anyone here might have some experience with a similar project and the steps needed to get their modified bike registered.

Thanks
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RZ350 Hybrid Rego

Post by hybrid »

You shouldn't have any dramas registering it I wouldn't think.
Your chassis number doesn't change.

You should just have to get the engine number changed and the capacity changed on the rego.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

The theory is that since youve done no frame welding and only upgraded and made it safer (better shocks and brakes) that you shouldnt need anything other than a blue slip... but my blue slip guy is telling me the cops can defect you if they want to as the bike isnt standard. Mental and how many cops would even know, but... The only way true round that is an engineers cert which also helps with insurance he says. If only I knew a decent engineer who didnt charge the earth :(
jools
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by jools »

Yes, I'm interested in this, (or similar). Here's a scenario... I have an '89 GS500 Suzi (great little bike BTW). It's over 25 years old so it's club/historic reg'd. Love it, 60 bucks a year instead of 500. BUT the GS500 bike has had such a long model run, that I could drop in a 2014 motor, -(it's exactly the same). I assume that the historic reg is based on the date of manufacture as shown on the VIN plate -frame number not engine number. What's to stop me dropping in a late year low k's motor? Nuffin' is my theory! What do YOU reckon? I could have a zero milage historic reg GS!
-Jools
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

The issue with historic rego is that the club you rego with with needs to approve it, if they dont mind the mods then youre golden. Thats my problem with my LC and XT, both are modded and no one Ive spoken to wants to let me historic rego them :(
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Time to start a 2strokes down under club then.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Plus 1
If it helps anyone - like regoing modded bikes.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Jeff if youre serious, I might be interested to put some effort in to help if you have a plan.
Yossairan

Post by Yossairan »

A two stroke club sounds like an awesome idea, count me in for sure. :Clap:
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

I rarely have a plan :lol:

In all seriousness, we'd have to look up whether there is a reason that the other clubs don't want to do it. If there is something in the Historic rego rules that says the bikes should be as close to original as possible, then there is no use.
However, if they are just being typical club snobs, then it's worth looking into.

I should state that I'm definitely not a club person. I hate the politics and rubbish that go with most clubs. However, I'm happy to try and help get something off the ground if a bunch of people feel it would help the scene.
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

I had a visit from the RMS/ RTA a few weeks ago due to some strange things being passed by an engineer. My bikes are ok or so I thought, I got defected on both bikes for braided lines not being ADR approved. Mind you they were admiring the Sugo pipes and Jim Lomas pipes on the bikes saying the Japanese do some nice work 8O
Anyway I spoke to a guy I know who inspects vehicles to get defects fixed and removed and he said that since the RTA became the RMS and basically a one stop shop for a few older agencies they have clamped right down on stuff like this. They have been seen on the Putty Rd stopping every bike and checking for compliance, pipes etc in the last few weeks and only stopping bikes. They are also auditing the checking stations for pink and blue slips so you might find it harder soon to get someone to take a chance.
Not saying you should not carry on but its something for everyone to consider before putting that Mack motor into the postie bike out the back.
Yossairan

Post by Yossairan »

EPApolice wrote: They have been seen on the Putty Rd stopping every bike and checking for compliance, pipes etc in the last few weeks and only stopping bikes.
I have also been wondering about my DG pipes I have fitted to my Rz350. Anybody know if they are legal?
2TInstitute
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by 2TInstitute »

A fellow here started a historic rally car club after the MG car club got the shits with anyone not wearing a deerstalker cap and smoking a pipe.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

It's a common theme with clubs unfortunately.
And that's the issue with even starting one. If you have voting for positions etc, then eventually the club you started could end up in the hands of dickheads like that.