RD350 TR3 Replica

Post your Project Bike threads here.
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: RD350 TR3 Replica

Post by ged »

Damn..... I just spent an hour typing up the recipe and photos and was about to hit the "Post" button, and it disappeared........ I'm afraid your gonna have to wait a little longer guys.

I did find the link to the device I copied though! So I'll leave you with that till I get around to reposting the details of my version, which is really a cheap assed, slap up version of the original. He's done a very nice job and I suggest that as a better template.

Here it is:

http://www.triumphrat.net/members-resto ... ost2382349

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

JonW wrote:Blasting is a function of pressure and grit, ........
........... and time :twisted:

And my time is only limited by my patience :)

And my patience is only limited by my character :oops:

I other words I don't need the perfect set up just an effective set up. I was thinking of using sand or garnet and doing it in the back yard without a cabinet (or a big tarp to save the worst of the wastage/spread). I don't know if it will work but I'm prepared to experiment. :P
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

As far as I can tell, different tasks require different methods, so you end up with an array of tools to apply to various applications.

Frames, mag wheels and big chunks are probably best done using garnet blasting outside (don't use sand, you'll end up with silicosis - nasty) while smaller items can go into some sort of cabinet.

One of the simplifications I've put in my blaster is the $20 supercheap style sandblasting gun. The original device used some sort of T joiner with 2 taps to control the feed and make sure you don't feed slurry back up the air line. The supercheap gun works just as well and is simpler, cheaper and easier.

I originally used that gun for soda blasting and it worked really well for that too. Soda blasting is hell messy and doesn't really produce as nice or clean a finish as the bead blaster, but it is still a useful, cheap and effective method for some items. Pick up a 20kg bag of bi carb soda from a produce shop and it's reasonably cost effective.

Bead blasting has some significant downsides also....... There are plenty of stories of engine components being bead blasted during rebuilds and then having new motors with bottom end meltdowns in the first few hundred K's. If you don't remove every single glass particle from the job, it will eventually find its way into the oil system and eat out every bearing in its path.....

Jon, yes I have a gal gutter drop cut into the bottom of the blast cabinet but it tends not to flow as well as it could. The arrangement in the original device is better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

It is probably a thread hijack but if you want some free garnet blast material see here.

forums/12/1932
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

OzzyElsie wrote:It is probably a thread hijack but if you want some free garnet blast material see here.

forums/12/1932
I hope someone jumped on that stuff as well Ozzy. How did work?

This turned up in a saved search today, but sold for $7.5k before I even checked it! Someone was in a hurry.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yamaha-tr3-/ ... 7675.l2557

I also found this on ebay last week, which is pretty handy reference material. For instance, it tells you that the cases on the bike above aren't TR3 cases......

Wizz
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by Wizz »

Nice find with the book, sounds like it would be a good read.
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

Wizz wrote:Nice find with the book, sounds like it would be a good read.

Yeah, it's interesting enough Wizz. Full of detail, but a pretty dry sort of read. I always end up with some sort of tome like this when I start a project like the RD. if your going to spend this much time tracking down parts, you may as well track down the right parts.

It goes to incredible detail of each step in the evolution to the TZ including port maps and chamber dimensions as well detailed specifications and changes between models. Huge research task. It's written by the guy who set up TZ website which of course is a wealth of information in itself.

http://www.tz350.net/index.htm

I don't know if you can zoom your screen and read that, but it's the introduction and it kind of highlights what I was saying the other day about tuning options. A highly tuned 2 stroke can be a pretty unfriendly beast on the road.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

ged wrote:
OzzyElsie wrote:It is probably a thread hijack but if you want some free garnet blast material see here.

forums/12/1932
I hope someone jumped on that stuff as well Ozzy. How did work?
Give me a break. I got the media before I had the compressor, as you do :D .

Picked up the compressor today.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Air-Compress ... true&rt=nc

I took a punt; it turned out bigger and in better condition 'in the flesh' than it appeared on Ebay . $93 and the time - can't go wrong.

Or can it :P
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

It probably won't be big enough for constant blasting, but it will get by and you can't complain about the price.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

Nice work Ozzy. Good value anyway. Not too much can go wrong with them really, although in the last 2 years I've replied my motor, capacitors, regulator, pressure switch and blow off valve......

Pick up a sandblast gun for supercheap a or autobarns or whatever. Bout 20 bux or so. They just rely on the negative pressure at the gun to draw material up the tube. Will probably work fine. The next limitation then become water clogging up the line/gun. You need a half decent water separator at the tank to keep it out of the system. You need the same device for spray painting anything, so the sooner it's fitted the better.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Small but at the better end of that scale of unit for sure as its a belt drive... that helps lots. Defo dont run it flat out constantly, it needs to stop at times, its called duty cycle and I expect its 60-70% max for your unit. that means it should be run for say 6 mins in every 10. If you try and work like that you will keep it longer.
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

G'day ged. Nice project project you have in front of you. also informative side disscussions on media blasting and compressers. Do you plan to race the tr? I share your passion for all things tr, tz and the like. Your probable right in the bike for sale on gumtree, factory gyt bits ready to go with a set price. hmmmm.
Good idea is to price out the build before you get to far into it. Thing is a tr replica can be done for a reasonable price without all the go fast bits by using rd engine and the like. It's when you want fast that the bill skyrockets, then if you want to go factory correct the bill goes up again.
I am currently in turmoil as to whether i buy the 2015 R1 for track days, with a set buy price plus tyres, or a Tz350 for track days and a race or 2 a year with a 3 to 4 g a year up keep but on a bike that will appreciate. Seen a Rd400 at thye lord of the lake vintage racers. It was running a water cooled head and had mumbo a plenty, won both racers. looking forward to seeing the build progress.
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

Hi Gman. I'm still in 2 minds as to whether to build it for the road or track..... I live out in the bush with lots of twisty roads to tempt me but concern for my licence as well as my ageing carcass, is leading me more and more to a track bike in one form or another.

I conceived all of this in a very short space of time which just happened to coincide with the beautiful Mrs.Ged being off galavanting around Europe for a few weeks.... She's home now and serving up some cold reality sandwiches, but we haven't quite gotten around to negotiating my racing career as yet. :)

I'm a little surprised at how many TD, TR's there are available out there. And they're very reasonably priced for what they are. The one that went on ebay last week for $7500 had the 4LS brake on it that's worth $3K plus. There's also another genuine TR listed there as well that the guy wants $10k for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151811655633?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

An R1 track bike would be a lot of fun, but whoaaaaaa.... That's insane horsepower. How fast do you need to go to get your jollies? A TZ would be just as much a challenge to master and maintain but has the advantage of being on the uphill side of the value curve while any new bike would be on the downswing.

Mind you, the YL3 parked next to the R1 in the garage would make an interesting contrast!
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

The YouTube vid for the TR on eBay at the moment is worth watching too.

http://youtu.be/UkkDnmQl_RI

He's giving it death and it's a rocket.
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

Yes i have seen that video. gets the pulse racing just watching. I did own a 2010 r1 that saw allot of track time. It was a fantastic bike but in the end i wanted more power. the new one is the cats meow but at 22 odd grand it's allot of coin for a track bike that isn't insured whilst at the track. At 48 years old it would probably be my last serious go fast bike and i probably wouldn't register it.
Then on the other hand a tz350 to me is a thing of beauty with a raw excitment about it. I've read allot about them and seen many racing at vintage races. I've talked to owners who have owned them since new and still race them aged in there 60's.
I had a disscussion the other day with a racer/ engine builder who talked about how some people will spend thousands on a rd/rdlc to compete in the same field as the tz's. Some have some succsess but in the end there bikes are not worth half what they have spent on them. the tz's will steadily go up in value but if you want to use one you can easliy spend thousands a year on maintenance as the parts are getting harder to come by. I think you have a good staring point for replica tr and a rode bike version would be a treat to own and ride plus it has the added appeal to a buyer if you should wish to sell it down the track.