yamaha yl3 125 racer build

Post your Project Bike threads here.
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: yamaha yl3 125 racer build

Post by ged »

Tight fit on those carbs Gman, but they're in. Is their an air box or filter of some sort in that frame section?

Have you put a good water filter/trap on your compressor? Gold Coast humidity sux... One drop and.......start again.

I'm a big fan of the little white racer you've posted above, so definitely black frame, white tank and full fairing I reckon.

Here's your fairing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-TA-125-f ... Sw3xJVWbxj
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

G'day. i have a water trap for air hose, also the guy who painted my l3 suggested i coil the air hose as an extra water trap. There is no room for air cleaners without cutting some of the frame to allow for pods. this will be done along with some strengthing throught the area. I do have a moto tumby bath tub fairing tz style but i'm hoping to use that on a rz350. I have an as3 frame that the motor could be put in although besides the frame the forks, shocks and wheels are all in bad condition. I hope the little 100 frame complete with motor will be under 100kg.
Still sanding tank and other parts, chop the frame next and ready it for painting. Hopefully the engine will be assembled in the next week or so.
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

yamaha yl3 125 racer build

Post by Greasemeup »

I was always thinking along these lines for a spray booth. Can get fans & filters to suit as well :) set it up in the shed, take it down when not needed, or grow a crop to help fund the addiction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Do you get an error when your posts go missing? There is anti-spam software on the site, so it may be falsely picking it up as spam.
Shouldn't really do that for users over a few posts though, so I would be surprised.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

Okay what funny guy put the garden gnome in the microwave oven? :twisted:
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

That garden gnome certainly looks a lot more like a Hydg grower than a spray painter..... He's probably a good sparky too.

Gman, is that fairing a roundy early style or later pointy style? A early style roundy would look sooo good on this thing.

Did you get yourself a random orbital air sander? It's cuts the hours down a lot.
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

g'day race fans. Had the dremel and grinder on the frame today opening up the air inlet into the frame. I was thinking of running pod filters on the carbs but with limited space i'm now think a y-boot could be the answer. The carbs are 24mm mikuni's which have a 43mm bell mouth diameter the same as rz350 26mm mikuni's. I've had a look on hv economy cycle they sell a yboot for rz350 for $110 us. i'm hoping i can borrow a mates a yboot to try for fitment.
I've been doing allot of research for a clutch for the engine. The stock clutch won't hold with the extra hp. Ta125's used different friction and steel plates, although the clutch boss, basket and pressure plate are the same as rd125/as3. Unfortunatly the Ta125 plates are no longer available. I have found some early yz125's used some of the same clutch components as the the TA's so i'll be looking to see if they can be used. The other alternative is to use a different clutch basket on the original 74t primary gear.
There's allot of pioneering going on here, hopefully i'll get it all sorted and can post the results that may be of help to someone else building a parts bin special.
Image Image
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

The y boot they sell is actually a gen yam part from an earlier model I think, worth checking out?
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

getting closer to painting the fame. Making seat mounts at the moment. does it need a seat? Image
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

gman wrote: does it need a seat?
I would say you need either a seat or suspension (but preferably both) - the choice is yours :twisted:
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

Rigid rear ends are under rated. They save you trouble of messing with spring rates and damping settings and once you get used to floating around on a sprung saddle (bit like a water bed), your fine!

Nice pipe Gman.
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

got the pipes with the rz250 i recently picked up. no bran\d name out of japan. thought i'd see if they would fit on the little racer. pretty close, reccon they could be made to fit without to much trouble. i spent a fair bit of money getting the cylinders ported so i will probable end up with tuned lenght chambers to get the most out of it. . i do think it looks a bit bad ass with rear end low and no seat.
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

Take my word for it Gman, you don't want your bike to handle anything like my rigid M21 Beeza!
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

G'day race fans. Been a little busy with rz's. Now Getting back on track with the racer build over the holidays. Put together the bottom end yesterday. Vertical split cases are a little tricky, need a oven, freezer, crank setting tool and patience. All in all it went together well with freshly rebuilt crank, new rods,. New crank / transmission bearings and seal. I had 3 transmissions to choose from, i went with the as3 transmission as it has a closer ratio box over the rd125 transmission. Will be installing new clutch and other bits tommorrow. need to paint the barrells then install the top end. Image
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by twinrock »

Hey mate a lil whike ago I posted in te for sale section one of these bikes..which I found sitting under a house..I got no replies so I never chased up the bike again..its just around the corner from my house..it has been sitting a very long time and very sad state..but the motor still turned ovr and had ompression..im in newcastle and if ur still chasing more parts I can try to get them for you..it would be very cheap..