My New 2t Project - Rickman Monty.

Off-Topic chat... chat about anything here.
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: My New 2t Project - Rickman Monty.

Post by ged »

I spent nearly 10 hours today brush painting my verandah railing. And it'll take that again to top coat it. When you put it in perspective, 40 hours polishing that old girl probably ain't so bad...... That's pretty dedicated though.

So does that mean that Greg is thinking that your frame plating will come back ok? What are you polishing it with?
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

I haven't spoken to Greg at any great length or detail yet but I don't think he has re-plated any of his frames, just polished them. He did mention someone he knows who had his frame re-plated - $1700 8-O

At this stage I think the frame will look pretty good just polished. The swing arm needs re-plating and my intention is to get a quote and, if the price is reasonable, I'll get that done.

At this stage the Plan is to get the bike presentable and working. I may or may not then go back over the resto and improve it. If I went to re-plate the frame it would only be done as part of the process to get it back to OEM (meaning searching out OEM hubs etc etc), but really I'm not looking that far in front - I just want it up and working, the sooner then better.

So far I've been using a wire brush, scotch pad, WD and elbow grease. Greg used scotch pads, Ajax and water and then went electric polisher and metal cleaner. I am trying to get a buff wheel on to a drill and I'll use the white compound as an intermediate step.

At this stage I haven't committed to an all out attack but I have been experimenting and trialing methods. It looks promising. The big issue at the mo is the swing arm removal. I'm still working with the WD and patience at this stage, and great the big weapons organised :wink: .
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

Rickman, style and comfort :wink: :D
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

Hmmm. Ya got anything built for speed?
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

ged wrote:Hmmm. Ya got anything built for speed?
Is this what you want? :P

JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

:Clap: One of the funniest replies Ive seen for a while, very subtle Ged. :D
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

OzzyElsie wrote:
Is this what you want? :P

Now your talkin!

]
JonW wrote:
:Clap: very subtle Ged. :D
My wife punches me if I'm sexist.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

ged wrote:

My wife punches me if I'm sexist.
I know the feeling.......and if you think any differently than you're a sexist.

ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

Kinda how it works isn't it.

My Mrs is welcome to that much of the bed, as long as she doesn't actually need it. :)
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Heh heh heh ☺️
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

I've been out of action and on light duties for the last three week - a bad case of shaggers back, long story (bloody doctors :P) but I did this as part of light duties......

Can ya pick the difference :D .

All my own work, and first attempt :D .

I lie, a little. I was the main driver of the project but my wife inadvertently did 90% of the work. She is a very good seamstress - a country girl. I would ask "how do you make piping". She would show me and watch my feeble efforts and elbow me aside and end up doing the work - it was a plan :D .

It looks good and feels good - the old foam seems okay, bonus :P 8).

I would never do it again. Other than satisfaction I doubt if I would be 'ahead of the game'. $24 for the vinyl, $10 for needles, twine etc etc. Next time $80 to the upholsterer and "I'll pick it up next week".
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Thats excellent! Where would you find a place to do that for $80? no upholsterer round here would get out of bed for that :/
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Your Missus want to do an LC seat? ;-)
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

Wow, I'm well pleased. I sold the 63M motor for $350 on EvilPay last night, An appreciated cash injection for the budget and project.

I was please to sell because if I didn't it would probably have become the basis for another project (which I need like a hole in the head) or it would have hung around and got under my feet. I wouldn't have thrown it out, that part of this disease - just as I'm trying to de-clutter.

That's one of the good things about EvilPay - I didn't know and couldn't guess its value. It was rare it, was damaged, it was old and it was VMX, what's the chances?

Getting back to reality, the $350 probably won't pay for the re-nickeling of the swing arm!!.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Ive been doing the same thing with the spare parts ive amassed and hoping to 'reinvest' the cash back into projects, but like you the influx always seems to be negligible, even tho its hundreds. No one suggested that restoring was a money maker LOL