"reunited and it feels so good" ....

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

"reunited and it feels so good" ....

Post by twinrock »

I also couldnt resist..there was an 1983 rz250k on gumtree last week saw the bike..rang straight away made the deal..bike was in melborne...its all running and seems pretty tidy..with 29tho on the clock..but at closer inspection and more pics..I see it had the wrong pipes..350n late modle with the welded end cans..and pics also shown powerjet carbs..so something not right..but not bad either..31k stamped on the barrels..nice one..!!!! bike will be here on tuesday..Its been a while since I owned an rz..and am lookin forward to it..I really like the look of the first rz..hoping just to tidy up a lil bit with no major mods..but I will upgrade brakes.. I was thinking about the early r1 discs and some modern calipers..I have come acustom to good brakes now and hard to go back.. anyone else no of a good combination suited to the rz.. im actually thinking a single disk with a current caliper and master cylinder..ie rs125.. should be more then enough..
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: "reunited and it feels so good" ....

Post by gman »

Do you want to sell it?? lol. Nice one twin rock. 31k 350 barrells hey, and 29tho on the clock. good find. I find the brakes on both my rz's good, better then the single disc on my tzr. good pads and braded lines will have you bottoming out the forks. If you want more i believe R1 callipers can be made to fit.
I'd reccomend you go over all the fluids, strip down the carbs if it hasen't been run in a while. check the date on the tyres and revew if old. Once it's on the rode any problems will become apparent. Looking forward to seeing some pictures.
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by twinrock »

Sell? ..let me have a go first..lol... as far as brakes..its not just overall stopping power..its feel and control.something that big disc leverage and the spread work that multi pistons provide..I agree I was nevr happy with tzr brake..funny tho as I have a 320 disc with an fzr 4 pot and rz..master cylinder on my dt200..and its fantastic..essentially what the tzr had..Altho 30kgs lighter..But I alwys felt The rz..especially the first lacked in brakes especially when it can be relatively easy to upgrade..with countless modern options..
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

R1 (and others) blue spot calipers on LC or early ypvs forks require spacers which you can get here or in the usa, about $150 etc.

leak down test it Justin, old crank seals will kill it fast...

Have fun, they are a great bike, especially in 350 form :)
mboddy
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by mboddy »

twinrock wrote:... as far as brakes..its not just overall stopping power..its feel and control.something that big disc leverage and the spread work that multi pistons provide.
My observation is that the four piston two pad callipers do not have the initial bight of a good twin pistion calliper.
The best settup I tested on the race bikes was with the 320mm disk and Brembo F08 caliper.
The R1 caliper could never match it no matter what pads or master cylinder size I tried.
My theory is that you get better bite with longer leading edges on the square pad.
This theory would indicate that the best settup would be four piston four pad calliper.
On the TZR race bike which is so light at under 100kg I have seriously considered reducing the disk size to 300mm.
The TDR has quite a few more kgs and the 320mm is perfect.
When I used the 320mm and F08 on the RD350LC it also was perfect.
Note that master cylinder bore size can make a big difference.
Reducing the size from 12.7mm (half inch) to 12mm on the TDR gave both me and David R one second reduction in lap times around Wakefield.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

mboddy wrote: Note that master cylinder bore size can make a big difference.
Reducing the size from 12.7mm (half inch) to 12mm on the TDR gave both me and David R one second reduction in lap times around Wakefield.
Wow... who would have thought that would make such a difference?
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
2TInstitute
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by 2TInstitute »

hybrid wrote:
mboddy wrote: Note that master cylinder bore size can make a big difference.
Wow... who would have thought that would make such a difference?
Smaller bore makes greater pressure giving more feel at the lever. If your braking power is proportional to how hard you squeeze the lever you don't know what good brakes are. The smaller bore usualy makes the lever feel it has air in the line and comes back to the bar almost but riding is different it it very easy to modulate the braking pressure with 1 or 2 fingers. Because your not using your concentration on squeezing the lever you can feel what the front tyre is doing much better. In combination with a HH pad is awesome.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Yeah I get how it works, I just didn't think there would be a second a lap in it. That is a big difference.

My LC is a bit like that since I put the RGV brakes on it with the stock MC.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
mboddy
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by mboddy »

You really want to get the ratio spot on.
For the F08 calliper 12mm to 13mm is considered to be the sweet spot.
What surprised us was the big difference we got with such a small change from 12.7mm to 12mm.
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by twinrock »

Yeah I do remember those brembos on your bike mark..I forgot about them..I agree totally should not rely on how hard you can squeeze..progressive braking is whats desired..a great set up I have had was with a twin pot non a posing brembo.. like you would find on a ktm dirt bike..with a 300mm disc and matching master cylinder..light too.. great feel..and awsome street stopping power..thanks guys for your input..
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by twinrock »

So mark..what mastercylinder size did you run with the FO8.. my mate has a moto guzzi has a single FO8 with 12.7mm disc is 280 i think..and I dont find it very good at all..
mboddy
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by mboddy »

twinrock wrote:So mark..what mastercylinder size did you run with the FO8.. my mate has a moto guzzi has a single FO8 with 12.7mm disc is 280 i think..and I dont find it very good at all..
12mm MC, braided line and EBC gold sintered pads.