RD350LC resurrection

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: RD350LC resurrection

Post by gman »

yeah but he's stripped back the handlebars. you better get over there and label everything. good thing is that he's in on the deal i would say.
Mullna
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by Mullna »

What ratio do you run in a rd350lc?
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

16/39 is std...

you really do need to DL the parts book:

http://rd350lc.net/pageMICROFICHE.htm

and the owners manual is available on the Aussie yam site for DL too...
Mullna
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by Mullna »

Nah I meant fuel
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

Mullna wrote:Nah I meant fuel
Oil is delivered by a throttle sensitive auto pump (unless disconnected).

If it is disconnected then talking about oil/fuel ratios will bring out a lot of opinion and start an argument :twisted: . 24:1 if you must know :D .
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

I run 30 to1 yamalube 2r in my rz.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

send the pump to Arrow, job done. Anyone who loves their bikes does that these days.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

JonW wrote:send the pump to Arrow, job done. Anyone who loves their bikes does that these days.
Who or what is Arrow?
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
Mullna
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by Mullna »

Not sure the oil pump is working 100% correctly so to be safe was going to put premix in wasnt sure lon the ratio that the oil pump mix's at
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

Mullna wrote:Not sure the oil pump is working 100% correctly so to be safe was going to put premix in wasnt sure lon the ratio that the oil pump mix's at
As I said, throttle sensitive. I have seen ratios of the pump given, I don't know if they were accurate or guesstimates, but it was something like 100:1 at idle to 20:1 on full throttle.

To check the oil pump remove the oil feed line at the barrel at idle and a little oil should dribble out. With it disconnected give the throttle a blimp or two and you'll notice a pulse in the dibble.
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

Yep pretty much what ozzy said. If the bike has been sitting with oil still in the tank and lines still attached to the pump and engine i would say everything is ok. I have 4 yammy's from the 60's that are all running on the original pump. Like aussie said, you could run the bike on premix (anywhere from 25 to 30 to 1) then check the oil deliverie by removing the oil feed line from the barrells and check for flow.
In some older yamaha service manuals they state the pumps do not require servicing. In some other manuals, they give you specs for output volume per 200 strokes at idle with oil pump held in maximum stroke. I have checked some of my bikes using a shot glass and a suringe. all have checked out ok.
sounds like you want to kick the bike over mullna.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

OzzyElsie wrote:
JonW wrote:send the pump to Arrow, job done. Anyone who loves their bikes does that these days.
Who or what is Arrow?
He is an oil pump god... I use his pumps on all my builds now. see my builds on my site for pics if you want em.

Drop him a PM and send him your old pump, he will get it refurbished and dialed in correctly, pumps seem to have often came from the factory setup badly, so his work is invaluable. Many os us use him, its a false economy to not do so.

forums/members/440
DuncanB
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by DuncanB »

It looks in slightly better fettle than mine when I got it a long, long time ago.... up to press its cost me about $5500 including the bike! Eeek!! I did just splash out on some Allspeeds which blew the budget a little. I am hopefully only a paint job and a bit of finishing away from completing it, so happy days.
I used RAD hard chroming in Brisbane for the forks, great service and job.
Good luck if you can prise it out of the father in laws hands!
Project RD350LC. Finished YL2C.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

One thing I would say is that there are more nice LCs out there now than ever, and a bunch of us on this forum have bikes we havent yet completed, er, well... some of us havent even started yet actually! LOL

If we all met up in one place with all our LC projects finished it would be quite something!