whats wrong with this picture

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: whats wrong with this picture

Post by JonW »

Well there ya go, good engineering on his part to fix a troublesome part, me like :)
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

Old mate that owned the bike lives out in the sticks with no mobile phone reception. He currently drives around in an old nissan supra with an electric engine that he installed himself. He modified the valve bushes 10 or so years ago when he replaces the 250 barrells with 350's. Maybe he didn't have the original bushes or maybe he just thought about an upgrade. Anyway the bike ran for a few thousand ks's like this before a gearbox problem parked it in the back shed to wait for me.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Thats great, will you be heading up there again? if so pics of the supra might be fun as well. I do love these guys who get on with fixing up stuff like this, using what they can find to do something decent. They are sadly a dying breed, the kids of today would be stuck, no on repairs anything now. :/
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Its actually not that bad an idea. At first I thought about the bearings losing their grease to the heat, but even a bearing with no grease would be better than dirty old bushes. The PV's don't move all that much so the bearing would last anyway. The PV will also never wear again.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

gman wrote:Old mate that owned the bike lives out in the sticks with no mobile phone reception. He currently drives around in an old nissan supra with an electric engine that he installed himself. He modified the valve bushes 10 or so years ago when he replaces the 250 barrells with 350's. Maybe he didn't have the original bushes or maybe he just thought about an upgrade. Anyway the bike ran for a few thousand ks's like this before a gearbox problem parked it in the back shed to wait for me.

That sounds suspiciously like my old mate Ron? Is he down Lismore way Gman?
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

Yep Ron it is. Interesting guy.

ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

gman wrote:Yep Ron it is. Interesting guy.

Haha. From the description, it could only have been one person. He's a good old mate of mine and I've been meaning to mention to him that his old RZ was worth heaps now! Your lucky you got onto him before I ran into him Gman!

He's actually an amazing bloke with an incredible array of skills in a bunch of different fields. The mods on the RZ are typical of Rons approach as well. From memory he proddy raced that RZ when it was new as well.

His EVs are something else! His first conversion was with a Porsche 924, which was a pretty funny story in itself.

Small bloody world.....
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Jeez, great coincidences!
You fellas should meet up and see what other friends you have in common?
Wonder if someone could encourage Ron on here, post some stuff in the Projects section? I'd be keen to see his EV's or other projects as much as his bike stuff :-)
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Me too, Ive been toying with the build of an electric bike for a while just for local use, and I know one forumer here has a modern E-car. not all of us smokers are straight polluters, even if we arent 'greenies' lol.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Ya old tree hugger Jon!
Watch out for splinters
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

haha, I used to know a bloke whos dad talked to trees... probably a story for over a beer that one LOL
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

JonW wrote:Ron sounds like 'one of us', would love to hear his stories. :)
I dunno that he spends much time on computers. If he did, the Internet would have discovered him years ago and he'd probably be working for Tesla or Google or something by now earning a fortune, instead of being a broke hippy.i think he's pretty happy with that though.

Stop picking on tree huggers you two! We're light years ahead of you..... When I first moved out to the bush in the late eighties (Ron lived up the road a bit later on) and built my first stand alone, home generated elictricity system and was banging on at people about the "Greenhouse Effect" and global warming, everybody just looked at me like I was a nutter! Mind you, it's good to see you're all finally catching up there in city dweller land.

Tree huggers make the world a nicer place.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Ged, I was going to take the mickey, but you're right of course.
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

You fella's make me laugh. Been trying to contact Ron but no reply as yet. i really liked the bloke. enthusiastic, alternative, clever. Shame he left his once loved rz out in a paddick. I've stripped most of the bike and found more things worn out, rusted or seized then ready to use. still some good spares though and happy to get the top end, carbs and exhaust.
He told me i've motivated him to finnish an electric powered suzuki van. I do hope to catch up with him early in the new year. I've promised him a back to back ride on my tzr and one of the rz's.
He lives in gods country, green rolling hills and twisty back roads. I will inform him that there has been a request from you fellows to get on the forum and give out some knowledge. I'm still to check out the power valve bearing idea. Have found one bearing that was somewhat seized. But it may be from just sitting out in the weather. I do plan to use Rons Power valve bearing idea and document it's merrits. I think it will be a winner.