banshee sleeves in aircooled rd??

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

banshee sleeves in aircooled rd??

Post by twinrock »

was thinking if this would work...Basically resleave rd250 air cooled cylinders with big bore banshee ones..im not sugesting goung out the the shed and doing but having it done professionally...any thoughts?
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: banshee sleeves in aircooled rd??

Post by BRG1200 »

Good idea, and no disrespect in saying that someone has probably tried it before, so one of the sleevers can probably providethe answer?
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

Dont think there would enough room between original sleeve and cooling fins for big bore. Also no transfer room. On a 350 barrell it could be possible. Then there is the port maps to consider?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

gman wrote: Then there is the port maps to consider?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
That was my first thought. I would think the ports would be very different between the cylinder and sleeve.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by twinrock »

I had a set of banshee cylinders that had a big bore sleeve 68mm put in.. and I was also told then by a reputable tuner that what u gain in cc you loose in transfer ports..but man those things ripped..the biggest prob I had was getting the head gasket to seal properly.. I moved them on and bought athena..which were tamed down in comparison.. so if not big bore..maybe just stock sleeves o ring head..must be soo many 250 cylinders about worth nothin..if it was feasable to do..could open up a lot of options for pple..also much easier to port cylinders when sleeves are out id imagine..anyway just a thought..
2TInstitute
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by 2TInstitute »

twinrock wrote:was thinking if this would work...Basically resleave rd250 air cooled cylinders with big bore banshee ones..im not sugesting goung out the the shed and doing but having it done professionally...any thoughts?
I can bolt on a decent ignition onto a 250 and you will think it's a big bore, do a 250 cylinder correctly with an ignition and you have around linear 55hp