Gold Coast Electroplating lost my parts

Off-Topic chat... chat about anything here.
eztwoc

Gold Coast Electroplating lost my parts

Post by eztwoc »

Hi I am seeking help from your members please. Gold Coast Electroplating have lost my parts. I handed in a heap of Suzuki GS parts beginning Nov 2015 for zinc plating and 5 weeks later the below parts came back. They do not know what happened to my parts or who the owner of these parts are. No one at this stage has contacted them about their missing parts. Can anyone identify what bike these parts are from where I may be able to track down my parts and the owner of these. They have a metric thread. Maybe an early 70's model with drum brakes front and rear, with a strange curved rear brake bracket. Regards.

Last edited by eztwoc on Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
jools
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: HELP My Zinc Parts are missing

Post by jools »

I hope they are compensating you well!
If you don't get any recognition on here, try asking/posting on the VJMC Forum because there are loads of people who know loads of bikes, I'd be surprised if you got no joy there.
(If you need help posting there PM me).
eztwoc

Post by eztwoc »

jools wrote:I hope they are compensating you well!
If you don't get any recognition on here, try asking/posting on the VJMC Forum because there are loads of people who know loads of bikes, I'd be surprised if you got no joy there.
(If you need help posting there PM me).
Thanks for the offer, member from the Kawasaki Riders Forum has said he has already posted the info on the VJMC Forum site. I think you have to join as a member of the club before you can join the forum site. Regards.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

:cry:

What was your GS, the 1000?

Those parts I don't recognise, :? could be anything Japanese I would guess. The axles are typical Yammy, and the brake pivot is similar to a number of Yammies I've known. The pressed metal brake lever looks IT yammy. The most distinctive is that brake rod extender - and, as the actress said to the bishop, I've never seen anything that length. :P

Good luck in your quest.
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
eztwoc

Post by eztwoc »

JonW wrote:Im going to say Yammy dirt bike as it looks very XT/TT500 to me. Have a look at this page:

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Y ... parts.html
:Clap: Spot on looks like parts from a 1980 Yamaha XT500. Thank you, may help to track down owner and get my parts back. Thanks heaps
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

no worries, happy to help, it sucks big time to lose parts like this. In fact it was a great idea to photograph them and put them up, you never know what parts people will recognise.
eztwoc

Post by eztwoc »

JonW wrote:no worries, happy to help, it sucks big time to lose parts like this. In fact it was a great idea to photograph them and put them up, you never know what parts people will recognise.
How true, add now placed on Gumtree looking for the guy whos restoring a XT 500 on the Gold Coast who has the box of my parts sitting beside his bike. would love to see his face when he opens the box to fit to his bike. As long as its not December next year. :cry:

As soon as I checked on your info I phoned Gold Coast Electroplating and told them about the info. Is not too much help for them as they don't document that info, but are happy to compensate for my lose. Will now wait till they return from holidays after 18/1/16 and see what happens. :D

Thanks again
James P
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by James P »

Sometime in the 1990s my (then) electroplater lost a load of my parts - luckily they were all generic fasteners and easy to replace. Around 2005 another plating firm lost a few of the parts I'd left for plating, but denied all knowledge, saying that they "never lose parts".

I use different a plater now, but I always include a photograph showing all the parts with my name and 'phone number on it, so we both know exactly what should be there at the end. This won't be of much help to you in recovering your lost parts, but will hopefully prevent a recurrence in future.

Good luck & regards,
James
eztwoc

Post by eztwoc »

How true James, I have learnt my lesson. Photograph everything. One good thing the electroplaters know they would not have charged me $90 to zinc the above parts. I think they know something has happened as I had over twice as many. Anyway still no word but just placed an add on ebay as someone else has suggested.. Regards Still hoping for that call or email. Slowly building a parts list for the bikes.
eztwoc

Post by eztwoc »

UPDATE
So far have found out that the parts belong to a Yamaha XT500 around 1980 model. No luck from Gold Coast Electroplating. They no longer care and the promises from them that they would compensate me have falled through. I think they believe that these are my parts and I'm trying to rip them off, because the other person has not come forward with my parts. Have put the word out on other forums especially the yamaha and xt500 forums with no luck. Also have an add on Gumtree. Did have one on Ebay for information but someone bought the add for $1 before reading the description. So I have taken it off that one now.

I have now began purchasing new parts to replace my missing ones. I am up to about $300 for new parts but still have to source some that are no longer available. Few of the second hand parts are in the US and cost a fortune to get over here. I havnt started on these yet because I keep feeling one day I may get my parts back. I will give it 1 year and begin selling these parts I have.

Yeah they did do a good job except they are not mine. Starting to hear alot of similar stories about this company and will never use them again.

Regards
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

shame they havn't turned up mate. I live on the gold coast and i onced walked into gold coast electroplaters. with a tank and mufflers. had to wait 10 minutes to talk to a guy who seemed top be in a hurry and not really interested. He told me that the couldn't remove or fill the one small dint on the tank and i'd have to get that done prior. $600 was the quote to chrome it. Hmmm i left there thinking i;m not handing over a 1967 rare tank to someone who didn't seem interested. A mate chromed out his harley there. Found one of his engine covers that had been ruined hiding in the bottom of the box of parts when he went to pick them up. They tried to hide there mistake. $1800 job, he stood tall paid em $1300 and bought another cover. I've been to other chromers and none of them are organised, 2 weeks becomes 10 weeks and then 1 out of ten parts are missing. Also threads that you asked to be masked wheren't. 8O :impatient: :evil:
Consumer be warned. Take photo's of any and all bike parts before you leave them with anyone. make them sign the photo's and leave them a itemised description of parts. Find out how they store them and who's working on them. Sucks big time when some idiot loses your parts or fucks the job. especially when they take months to regather at a bigger cost then the quote to chrome them.
Eastwoc i'm in yamaha nerang twice a week. I've known the spare parts Salesman steve For a long time if anyone is restoring an xt500 on the coast he'll know about it and may be of help.
Good luck mate. Your parts will show up. The upside is the shiny xt parts would fetch a good dollar or make a good start to an xt500 project.
eztwoc

Re: Gold Coast Electroplating lost my parts

Post by eztwoc »

How true gman. Every time I went to that place Ian the office clerk was always in a hurry and didnt seem to be interested. When I went back after the incident old Ron came into the office and was saying so none of those parts belong to you, didnt seem to be surprised.

UPDATE 23/1/16
I am now starting to believe that the ONLY scenario is that this company Gold Coast Electroplating has either damaged, destroyed or lost my parts. The owner of these parts they gave me has not come forward to claim them. Perhaps these parts have been left at the factory after some type of a dispute and never collected or were paid for. After the incident with my parts the company has substituted these parts. It’s coincidence that my parts were very similar looking with wheel axles and assorted nuts and bolts.
eztwoc

Re: Gold Coast Electroplating lost my parts

Post by eztwoc »

UPDATE 2/2/16
Bad news I still have not located my parts. Good news is that Gold Coast Electroplating has now kept their word and have refunded my money that I had paid for the zinc plating and also enough money to cover most of my missing parts. Some are rare and no longer available so will try the US. Its been 3 months since I handed my parts in to be zinc plated. Part of the deal with GC Electroplating was that I had to return the parts in the photo which I did. I also left my contact details and asked them to please call me if they ever solve the mystery. If they do I may purchase some of my old parts back, if they are ever found. God help the guy who may have them sitting in his shed when he comes to his rebuild. Im sure GC Electroplating may ask for some money before they hand his parts back. Thanks everyone for trying to locate my parts. Will update next when I hear something more. Regards.