Historic Rego NSW changes...

Off-Topic chat... chat about anything here.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Historic Rego NSW changes...

Post by JonW »

For those that didnt know, I didnt....

There is a new trial more like the VIC system where you can use your bike for 60 days for pretty much anything you like not just club runs and testing. This is much more what I need for my fleet and I hope to get on this at some point in 2016.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/registr ... index.html

So, which club do we all think is best? VJMC Aus?
jools
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: Historic Rego NSW changes...

Post by jools »

Yep, VJMC.
Covers all the jap bikes of course, good blokes etc. (Though if you have brit bikes maybe one of the one-make clubs would be better, the BSA club is pretty active.
The Victorian club reg scheme is excellent. (Is the NSW scheme a trial only?)

BTW the VJMC allow club reg of non-jap bikes too, as long as you have at least one jap bike reg'd with them.
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

I don't think it's a trial any more. I think it's a forever (as much as anything is forever) thing.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

sounds like VJMC is the way to go then.... not for modifieds tho.... so my 85 RZ and LC will get in, still no word on the new scheme for modifieds, but of course they would require an engineers report and I cant afford that :/
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

"Historic vehicles must be as close to original condition as possible, with no alterations except for safety features such as seatbelts and turn indicators, or period accessories and options, if desired."

A bit of latitude there I would say.

"..........no alterations except for safety features......." late model brakes????? 17inch wheels; better tyre choice?????

".....or period accessories and options...." chambers????????

As a historic representation and the clubs as 'living, moving museums' I would like to see period correct modified bikes, cafe racers and the tourer, included but I also know it would be the potential for abuse and conflict.

I wonder how they are interpreting the RMS regs. Has the RMS given them carte blanc with the warning 'stuff up and you'll lose the lot' or has the RMS been more specific behind the scenes.

Regardless it looks like a good system.
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

"Proof of registration entitlement (eg an original receipt for the vehicle, which clearly shows the buyer’s name, the seller’s name, address and signature, the VIN or Chassis/frame or serial number and the date of acquisition)"

That might have some issues. I have one bike that is Grandfather's Axe' - started with the axle and worked up from there.
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

Reading further, I don't think things have changed that much have they?

"Vehicle use

Historic vehicles can be used for events organised by Roads and Maritime recognised historic vehicle clubs or community organisations, provided an official invitation has been received and recorded by the club in the official minutes, or 'Day Book'.

Historic vehicles can also be used on a road or road related area for:

Servicing within a short distance from their place of garaging
The inspection of the vehicle.

If a longer journey is necessary, the operator must notify the club and the details recorded by the club in the official minutes or 'Day Book'.
"

And

"Conditions

Historic vehicles under the historic vehicle scheme may be operated on roads and road-related areas only under the following conditions:

'Registered operator must be a member of an authorised motoring club'
'Use only in conjunction with an authorised club event or maintenance'."
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

The modified bit really comes from the VJMC, not the RMS rules, but bear in mind that any alteration mean the bike is no longer ADR approved as Pat was telling us the other month. Its stupid but thats the law etc. Cops pull you for it it seems.

There was something in the new rules about 'personal use' and '60 days'. you just write in the log book before you go out and youre sorted. Forget to write and get stopped and youre un-regod, so make sure you write in the book. 60 days is good, thats a lot of bimbling about for me. :)

The idea of the new system is to get more old stuff out n about and not sat in garages, which is defo not something the cops or rms care about, its something the clubs must have lobbied for.
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

This is a great scheme for the simply reason if you have say two or three bikes on historic rego that means 60 days for each machine plus all club organised rides and club invited rides. That would mean about 100 days of rides a year for each bike. The old system was a pain in the ass and as a result most bikes were left parked up. I have my 400/4 and RD400 on the scheme now and a few full rego bike as well and its perfect.
However the club is already suspicious of new members joining just to rort the scheme so as long as you turn up to the odd event every now and then you will be sweet and that can just be show days.
The log book also just asks for the date of the ride and where you are leaving from and who is riding the bike. You don't need to say where you are going, which route you are taking and how long you will be out. Its pretty open and flexible and very un RMS like :Clap:
If anyone feels like joining the VJMC then to have a historic reg bike in NSW you will need to join the club and stay a financial member or you are not covered, $45 a year I think
You will also need fully comp insurance to meet the requirements of the club and on a historic reg bike that's about $60 a year with Shannons
The initial reg cost incl the plate is $100 approx. and about $60 to renew and all vehicles are the same cost.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Thanks Pat, that sounds great, Looks like I will be one of those new members people will be suspicious of then, sad that people feel like that as just cos someone doesnt recognise me doesnt make me any less of an enthusiast of these bikes tho, and I'll be riding my vintage japanaese bike on the road so people see it (which they wont when its sat in my garage) and of course also paying money to the club with all these new joiners[1] who have no option but to belong to a club to get the new rego, and the RMS of course... that sounds good for everyone really :)

When I looked I thought that the join fee is $55 1st year and $50 thereafter now, Ive not looked into comp insurance with shannons, but $60 sounds cheap as chips... wow, hope I can get that.

[1] People who like me probably havent bothered joining a club as we dont see any benefit unitl now. Many of use just use the net forums and Fb etc and with those in mind the club thing always seemed like an anachronism in the digital world when I can meet my friends daily, at any time of the day, and not just on the first friday of every month. This new rule changes that and Im open to joining a club again as it has something I want.

NB. Me and clubs... Im no Grocho Marx but perhaps ive also been burned before... sadly by my TSSC (Triumph Sports Six Club) membership in the 90s when I was forced to exhibit my Spitfire in a local fair (as i was one of the most local members) and a bunch of members who visited got on my case cos of the wrong seats (incorrect on the anorak side part actually cos theye were original, sigh) and all my mods (pipes and filter and modern ignition) and extras (actually purchased from the club). It was a pointless exercise on their part to abuse a young lad as it was a good looking, nice car and on face value it was a good advert for the club, the boss man thanked me profusely on that score, but I was over it and never did it again and I belonged to 3 Triumph clubs back then, but let em lapse after that and never joined anything similar since... until now :)
Last edited by JonW on Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
jools
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by jools »

The insurance must be a NSW thing, doesn't apply in Vic.
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

The VJMC state you must have personal insurance also. The club has its own insurance of course which will also cover it and some clubs don't require you to have your own insurance but the VJMC do. For the price it should not really be an issue anyway.
The club don't make you display your bikes Jon but turning up to the odd thing every now and then is fair enough too. I don't even wash my bikes when I take them out.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

EPApolice wrote:I don't even wash my bikes when I take them out.
:lol: :D

For anyone who hasnt met Pat, this is the sort of thing that you cant help but smile at if youve spent time with him, totally brilliant down to earth Yamaha fiend. Merry Christmas Pat! :D
EPApolice
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by EPApolice »

Merry Christmas Jon.
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by twinrock »

Yeah this is a fantastic thing..I learnt about it a couple of months ago.. and got involved with the local japanese vintage club..for me rego ing more then one bike especially with the new greenslip hikes of over 225cc..hence my daily dt200 ie Cheap rego, is just not justifyable..this was the whole reason I got another rz250..for the new club rego..I also plan to have a old dirt bike for the odd bush squirt..again I couldnt justify this before..so 3 bikes at 180 days a year..awesome..pitty the saab isnt old enough yet..lol..on the modifying note..when I spoke to the local guys they said its really up to the discretion of the club your with..they were saying there were members with full moded cafe type stuff along side fully factory..I think modded but keeping it period looking would be the best for everyone