2T oils and Fuel ecconomy

Off-Topic chat... chat about anything here.
GrahamQLD
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

2T oils and Fuel ecconomy

Post by GrahamQLD »

Just thought I'd share my experience so far, been on this bike for a year now.

Bike: TDR250 stock standard
Fuel ecconomy
I've been using the bike for a few days a week tripping to work, 22km journey, lane filtering was too attractive in peak hour and end of year it got pretty bad.
So I found I can get at best (so far) 85km from 7L if I ride the bike above 4-5Krpm but not above 6K rather than dogging it in a higher gears. I've also found I've used a lot less oil this way as well. It really does make sense with less throttle opening it should all go down in consumption, but I always though dogging it in a higher gear would be more efficient.
If I dog the thing, I was only getting 75km from almost 9L. If I behave at least a little leaving the lights it also make a difference. :lol:
Heading up Mt Glorious though, I barely get to 60km before I'm on reserve, but that is too expected :-) and totally worth it!

Oils - Lots of opinions on this of course, but just my experience.
When I first got the bike all going I had some left over Shell VSX oil from MX days and it seemed pretty good. So when I ran out I bought another Litre, and it was bloody terrible. The blue haze is bad enough without bad oil making it worse.
So I've gone over to tried and tested Castrol TTS and there is a remarkable difference. Smoke is a lot less in general and it doesn't take as much to "clean it out" once the engine is warm and you get it on the pipe. On that note, I've found you really cannot do anything to "clean it out" until you get the temp up half way. You really shouldn't anyhow, and I wouldn't normally stress it until it's warm.
4L of TTS is $80 today at supercheap for their boxing day sale!
twinrock
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Re: 2T oils and Fuel ecconomy

Post by twinrock »

My tzr would get about 160kms on a full tank..I could just make it to sydney..all bar once..lol..cant go past tts.. but really does add to tbe already high fueling cost of the bikes..rgvs are worse again to the yam.. a stock dt200 gets 22kms a ltr of commuting..mines doing alot less due to mods and the way I ride..about 16km per ltr
James P
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Re: 2T oils and Fuel ecconomy

Post by James P »

GrahamQLD wrote:...I had some left over Shell VSX oil from MX days and it seemed pretty good. So when I ran out I bought another Litre, and it was bloody terrible. The blue haze is bad enough without bad oil making it worse.
Graham,

I've used Shell full-synthetic oil from my early days (1988); Sport 2S, which became 2SX, which became VSX2. The change of name to VSX2 was accompanied by a change in colour and a lower viscosity, but it was still a full-synthetic. Sometime later, the "VSX2" oil became a semi-synthetic and the full-synthetic was renamed "Ultra 2" (plus another change in colour).

Perhaps your experience with VSX2 was unwittingly changing from the full-synthetic to the semi-synthetic...? I've never had trouble with Shell full-synthetic oil (well...no trouble which could be attributed to the oil :lol: ), but haven't tried the semi-synthetic.

Regards,
James