air cooled RD250 parts...best place to buy is?

Looking for a part?
ajs71
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

air cooled RD250 parts...best place to buy is?

Post by ajs71 »

Fellow strokers...

I'm in Western Sydney and about to commence the rebirth of a '73 RD250. Am in need of gaskets, carb kits, crank case seals and other bits needed for the project.
Any thoughts on the best place to source these items? Happy to buy online, but thought I would ask here first.
Oh and a very happy 2016 to you all, cheers A.
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: air cooled RD250 parts...best place to buy is?

Post by ged »

I've been buying bits for the past few months for a DS7/RD/TR..... thing, and I haven't really found much locally. Partzilla out the U.S. was quick and reasonably priced and you gotta love their online ordering system.

I've bought other bits and pieces off fleabay, but as you'd expect quality is a little suspect.

The Partzilla bits are genuine Yamaha in factory packaging etc

I've been thinking about dropping into my local Yamaha dealer and seeing what they can get hold of, but I haven't made it yet.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

ged wrote:

I've been thinking about dropping into my local Yamaha dealer and seeing what they can get hold of, but I haven't made it yet.
Go in with a Yamaha part number or don't go in at all. :(

Expect blank looks of confusion and a cold shoulder from the counter staff when mentioning anything more then ten years old. :roll:
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

Yeah, that's pretty much why I haven't bothered yet, I just find it a little bizarre that no one in Australia seems to be holding any of those bits.

Yamaha in Japan obviously still hold stocks of many old parts because theyre supplying the people like Partzilla and CMNSL in the U.S. and Granbys and Yambits in the UK, but it doesn't appear that there is anyone filling that middleman niche in Oz.

The Partzilla warehouse must be monumental..... They cover all 4 Jap makers, plus watercraft and snowmobiles for models back to the 60's! That's a huge inventory. A bit of a modern wonder really tht you can go online to a parts list, select out a couple of bearings and seals and have them turn up in the postbox a week later on the other side of the planet. Incredible.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

The local Yam dealer in sleepy Adelaide was Pitmans, but they seem to have had a fall out with Yamaha as they needed/wanted to diversify and stock other brands, Yam apparently had a bit of a hissy fit and removed all their branding.
What they said to me when I asked what old stock they might have, if I recall correctly, is that Yam policy is to not have stock on shelves more than a few (10?) years old. Pitmans had sold everything over 10 years old to Retro in Adelaide, lock stock and barrel. Retro are, imho, expensive, "tomorrows Prices Today!", but I wish I'd got there first!
Pitmans can still get Yam bits, and have some more modern stuff in stock, like Banshee oddments.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
ajs71
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by ajs71 »

thanks guys, appreciate the input. Some of the shipping charges from the US are just stupid! cheers, A.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

For Ebay always ask for a price check on postage. Some buyers grumble, don't deal with them, others are helpful.
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
ajs71
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by ajs71 »

for sure, I always avoid anyone trying to make coin with high postage / shipping. I know some are legitimate businesses but some of the charges are beyond the pale! And as ever when buying anything from China...buy 2. Cheers, A
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

I suspect a few of those U.S. ebay sellers peddling old RD bits aAre listing the parts silly cheap but pumping up the postage in order to avoid eBay seller fees.qq
ajs71
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by ajs71 »

yes and it's not just the US ones either...some of these folks here on the bay of e are doing the same. Ah the joys of online purchasing. Cheers A.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

ged wrote:I suspect a few of those U.S. ebay sellers peddling old RD bits aAre listing the parts silly cheap but pumping up the postage in order to avoid eBay seller fees.qq
It doesn't avoid Ebay fees these days - Ebay take their 10% on the total price.

The issue is there is a default setting for international postage that has the items going through a nominated agent - the seller forwards the item to the agent and they do the rest to get to Oz. They charge like wounded bulls and Ebay get a further cut of the action - $$$$$$$$'s outa us.

They are other default settings that the seller has to be aware of and adjust. If the default setting are used you get those stupid postage quotes on the auction - and the big variations if you haven't noticed. A lot of times the seller doesn't realise what postages are been quoted. If they change the settings and do the international postage themselves postage a quarter of Ebay quotes can be achieved.

That's my understanding.

Bottom line; no check no christie pudding - its worth the ask.
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

YeAh, ok that's maKing more sense. I did get A postage quite on something from a guy with staCks of nice Ac RD stuff listed, but he came bAck with a postage quote just about aS bad aS the ousted quote, so I haven't bothered anymore, but yeah alwaYs worth asking.

Mind you, I'm slowly managing to track down aLl the bits I'm missing locally. It's interesting wAatching a all the RZ and LC price aCtion while the AC models are qstill pretty cheap a and plenty of parts And projects coming up pretty regulaRLY.

My touchscreen ketboArd is knAckered!qqqqqqqqqq
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

G'day ajs. Yesterday i ordered parts from boats net in the USA. This will be my 4 th order from them in the past few years. i first asked my local gold coast yamaha dealer for some of the parts. Oil seal oso type for rz350 power valve. Australia $24 boats net $6.65, orings for valve Australia $16.50, boats net $4.75. I also ordered crank bearings for one of my bikes from the $60's, plus some other parts for other bikes. Order totla was $130US. postage was only $28US. If you have a few hundred dollars of parts to order check out boats net. The prices at your local yamaha dealer have become outrageous.
Had some more time to edit and add. If you look in boats net. they will have a listing for you bike. in the components listing they will have all the part numbers, availability and cost. I usually right down a list of all parts needed and there part numbers. Then you can google each part number to see who is selling them and for how much. In your case i think your crank seals and gaskets should be reasonable enough in price at your local yamaha dealer. Carb kit you can buy a keyster carb kit online from" motorcycle spares online" (melbourne i think) for about $30 a carb. these kits are probable the only ones around. quality is questionable but i've used one for some of the parts in a 60's vintage bike. i do buy mikuni jets through these guys. Yambits in the uk have allot of parts, oem, reproduction etc for yamaha rd's at reasonable prices.worth a look, I have bought from them a few times. Definatley use genuine yamaha seals and new ones not 20 years on the shelf ones. hope this helps mate. Get that yammy going.
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by pkay »

I've been using Yambits - even though there postage seems high if it's a small item ask for a quote using royal mail small packets and it's often cheaper than using Australia Post. The US is expensive as a lot of sellers only send priority tracked mail I guess because people claim that it didn't turn up and want a refund. For example even with exchange rates I can get a pair of OEM hand grips for my RZ500 from Yambits delivered for half the price out of the USA off eBay. Partzilla is great if you have a big order cause of the way they structure their postage but is rubbish for one off bits (unless you are desperate). Yes and as Gman says if you've got the patience the interchange by part number approach often turns up gems. Don't right off your delaer too - just don't mention the bike use the part number. And avoid the 12 year old behind the counter as they ofetn knowjack sh*t. My local Yammy dealer is a great help and they love it when you rock up on an old banger.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

I order a lot from partzilla theyre good for new parts for sure.

Yambits, sit and play with adding parts to your basket, you might be surprised at what you can add and keep the post the same, othertimes the combination is just wrong and its costly, have a play with it.