Interstate Freighters.

Off-Topic chat... chat about anything here.
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: Interstate Freighters.

Post by gman »

i'm happy to be the gold coast agent. Don't have allot of room but i could house one bike for a while and assist in inspections , collecting and transfer.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

I remembered the old Shipping Wars show the other day, RIP Silver Jesus! Anyway... we have Uship in Aus too:

https://www.uship.com/au/

Probably not ideal for my boxes, but seems a few guys on there do bikes.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

Thanks everyone.

I've quoted the buyer E-go, its now up to him to do better. Seems Ego is ion the ball park anyway.

Ciao.
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

I'm about to use e-go to ship barrels.
I've heard mixed reports.
RD350LC- RGV Mods, PWK28's
RZ500 - YZR Replica, PWK28's
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Wow... so now I know why e-go are so "cheap".
It costs $30 just to get an email delivery confirmation :lol:

Something that costs them practically zero to send.

They make their money on the extras that most people are going to want anyway.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

ive been working with the seller of the parts Ive got in WA and e-go have not been cheap at all, in fact they were more expensive than Auspost!

Have you tried Pack and Send? Theyve come up good value for my stuff...
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

I'll give them a try next time.
I'm shipping Syd to Gold Coast... maybe they have their own depo's there, but not in WA?
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

They do actually have a depot in the town where the parts are, its not Perth etc.

I actually found that P&S's door to door 'by road' quote was very good, depot to depot would be even better.

To be honest for shipping your cyls Auspost would be ok, I used them when I sent a set with head last year. Sadly my boxes are bigger than that and Auspost wants hundreds for the job :(
hybrid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hybrid »

Barrels etc are booked already with e-go and should get picked up this afternoon.

I will use P&S for sure for the engine.
2TInstitute
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by 2TInstitute »

E-go were great when they first started then it all went south in a friggin hurry. I booked a box to be picked up was on the porch for a week , only when they delivered something else did they pick the original item up. You can talk to them and they fudged their way out of damage to an item even though it was insured.
Back to good old Aussie post for me.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by OzzyElsie »

2TInstitute wrote:E-go were great when they first started then it all went south in a friggin hurry. I booked a box to be picked up was on the porch for a week , only when they delivered something else did they pick the original item up. You can talk to them and they fudged their way out of damage to an item even though it was insured.
Back to good old Aussie post for me.
I generally use AP and have had a very good run with them on price. service and convenience. I don't think they'll accept a chassis on size etc.
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

nope they wont, they have a mandate that the parcel must be within certain parameters based on length and girth etc. All POs round the world do that now, they also work out the volume of the box (longest dims, to 'box' it) rather than on straight weight. This is because a ton of feathers takes up a lot more room than a ton of iron, and size costs them money, especially when flying things around as space on planes is very expensive. Surface (road/train/ship) freight still costs on size, but as the cost per m3 is much less than a plane, its not as big an issue. Any postal only pricing on weight and using planes would be in trouble in the modern world for sure.

Of course... if you can get an Auspost to accidentally forget to do that calc you can save a bit on post as BRG and I know very well, but if do pull out the measure and work it out you can often need a seat when they tell you the price... And, naturally, no courier will forget to measure your parcel after weighing and charge the higher value... Auspost is too distributed and employees are much less focused on the company bottom line etc.
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

Maximum length is about 1050 or somewhere around there. You have to keep plugging figures into their online calculator to see what it will take.

I was posting a beautiful old guitar around a few weeks ago and had to go through the rigmarole.... It was right at the outside dimension (I think it was 1065) but it was cheaper and faster to send it with Fastways in the end.

Fastways works well if your a regular user (I use them in my business) but I think you have to buy the labels in books of 10. They're doing some sort of eBay seller deal now I believe so might be worth checking out for regular sized stuff.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Fastway's whole 'book of 10' thing and their confusing charging model turns occasional posters off, its either a totally stupid or a very smart business model as it stops people like me using them * LOL

* NB, its very smart... only the people who know how to send stuff and do it often use them, the one off idiots who are hard work go elsewhere.

Talking of idiots, Ive worked (a lot) in post all over the world but some of my favourite idiot customers have been at my local PO here in Sydney. One lady turned up while i was there queuing with a birthday parcel for a relative in Brissy, it was beautifully wrapped with a bow and really nice paper, crisp corners and she was quite proud of it. She got quite upset when the post lady suggested it needed an address label, for two reasons it seems:

1, because she and the PO lady both know where its going, ie. to my Grandson in Ipswich.

2, The label would ruin the beautiful wrapping... she hadnt considered how the stamps wouldnt match the paper at that point. she was very very anti sticking anything on it.

I was incredulous... I wouldnt work the counter for quids. This idiot really thought the PO lady would probably take it up herself I think.

In fact if you ask people what their idea of how the post works, youd be surprised at their answers and how it differs from reality of providing that service. Funny world but Ive heard it all and most of it comes from the fact you know your postie and the post mistress well enough to say hello, its the bit inbetween that people seem to forget until you actually ask them what they think happens and they they look sheepish. FWIW Most parcels have between 7 and 15 pairs of hands on em during the journey, the fewer the better if I have anything to do with it LOL... more for overseas and depending on the carrier. Its less automated than you might hope and much more of a brutal environment with too much work and heavy equipment than you'd think. Contrary to public opinion no one has time to steal anything really, its more likely things will get broken or lost than stolen, unless you write what its worth on the side and the items is desirable, saleable and most of all 'pocketable', then things change as human nature kicks in and those on minimum wage can find it hard to be honest when theyre struggling... but thats the same anywhere.
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

I think I was stuck behind that lady's sister at my local last week..... Incredible. Nah, you don't get that at Fastways.

I got a PO note today to go to my local Mail Centre to pick up a "bulky" parcel. I reckon a TR3 fairing, screen, brackets and a couple of mudguards and sundries would be a bulky parcel! The amazing thing is that it's all come from bloody Finland (Imatra, yet) for 50 quid postage! Aussie Post would charge me more to get it to Brisbane.