Myths, old wives tales and bullshit that just won't die

Forum for general 2Stroke technical chat. Port design, pipe design, ignition control...
oldjohnno
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Myths, old wives tales and bullshit that just won't die

Post by oldjohnno »

2TInstitute wrote:well bring forth the discussion, the only good one I can think of is a good collection of things that are complete bullshit and old wives tales that get bandied around year after year.

Next is a shitlist of truly shit products that we got sucked in/almost sucked in by the hype.
OK I'll start. What about the one that says a high primary compression ratio is always a good thing? I'll concede that in certain applications - like low rpm engines with a muffler and small transfer area - a high PCR does indeed help. But for a higher rpm engine with an effective pipe and more port area a relatively low PCR will make more power.

Actually this has been known for a long time but even now you'll occasionally hear dirt bike guys talk of stuffing crankshafts...
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: Myths, old wives tales and bullshit that just won't die

Post by ged »

It's almost counterintuitive isn't it, that resonances created between the exhaust and inlet tracts, can pump more air than an increase in Primary CR. Good old 4 stroke theory just doesn't translate.

I'm still a bit of a 2T theory noob, so I've been reading my way through Jennings over the past few months and although it's well and truely outdated, (i think it's pre TZ even) it's well written enough to still be an interesting and engaging read.

My Myth/Shit List includes radial finned air cooled heads (bling?), aftermarket reeds and shit 2T emulation software....
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by pkay »

How about 16 inch front ends limit your tyre selection - seems that most journalists who write this shit want to pick from 50 different types of tyres for their bikes because they are so awesome when they ride.... I mean FFS how many choices do you want (for the technical amognst you there are at least 4 brands in Oz)

And what about 70's jap bikes handle badly - compared to what dickhead your borrowed 2016 BMW S1000RR??????? If you want to barrell into a corner on your Kawasaki H2 at 100km/h thinking your engine braking will save you - you're riding a two stroke knob end......... Didn't seem to cause Warren Willing to many problems - so maybe you're not as good as you think you are...

And if you want even more bullshit read some of the UK magazines with their obsession about what things are worth - just perpetuates every myth and old wives tale ever written.....
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

The UK classic mags.... sigh.... "The 92-on RD350R (Brazillian built F2 with twin headlights) is shit..." which means to most uk forumers its worthless now. sigh... The UK's lazy journs who re spout the drivel from the mid 90s need shooting. It was bascially the same quality an F2 was from 86, but by 1995 the game had moved on, thats all.

Adding oil to your fuel will mean your bike wont seize... no youve weaked the mixture with the oil, if you were on the limit before youve just created a big bill. Many an idiot added some castrol R to his tank back the day.... they loved the smell, go figure.

back in the day the 350 yams were as fast as the 70s/80s 750s.... yeah right. they were quick, but not that quick....

Electrics are unfathomable... if you think that meet the goons who install water heaters. Ive some great stories about my recent install for over beers, you really wouldnt believe it. So, yes you really can read a wiring diagram and wire your own bike if these guys can stay alive into their late 20s...
2TInstitute
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by 2TInstitute »

(posted in the wrong section copied here)

Turbo Cranks.

Every year that shit idea gets dragged out for another whip around the www

Pyramid reed cages

More Yank bullshit

Truly shit products the creme de la creme is the plastic levers I got for my trusty TS125 back in the 70's Unbreakable the advert said that should have read "un-BRAKE-able" as the lever just flexed so much that it was enough to come back to the bar.

Never tried them but nylon sprockets lasted about 1 weekend ride apparently
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

I'm going to contest you a little bit there Jon! :-)
I had a 350R, and the quality of the LC2 I had soon after it was streets ahead. Reckon you got a good one, the fit and finish on mine was shite. The quality of the RZ's I have over here, allowing for them all being butchered or barn finds, seems (originally at least!) to be higher.
Having said that, if you could stop various badly fitting things falling off it for long enough, it was kind of reliable and never mechanically shit itself.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Agree about journo's trotting out the same old tropes though.
R's being undervalued could be an opportunity for someone, they're still RD's after all.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

How old was your R D? Mine was brand new when bought and I rode it rain or shine and it even went to the 'ring in a huge miles long weekend once. Thing was immaculate (as all my stuff usually is) when I sold it, it did silt up its PVs and break a cable (shit oil and motorways) and i did have a cracked fairing lower / side panel (its a big piece) when it was delivered, swiftly swapped by the dealer. they also derestricted it before delivery as well. Nothing ever fell off or didnt work or was badly aligned... same as all the F2s Id ever sat on in showrooms in the years before and the ones my mates had had etc.
mboddy
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by mboddy »

My story is the same as Jons except I did my own derestricting.
Great bike and I won't sell it.
oldjohnno
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by oldjohnno »

Nothing at all to do with bikes or two-strokes but the Z-Crank is just too good to not share.
James W.
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by James W. »

JonW wrote:The UK classic mags.... sigh.... Many an idiot added some castrol R to his tank back the day.... they loved the smell, go figure.

back in the day the 350 yams were as fast as the 70s/80s 750s.... yeah right. they were quick, but not that quick....

Jon, you are right about certain dopey "classic" mags..
- who make a habit of lazily trotting out ancient wives tales-type stereotype horror-show fantasies,
..most often from those who have very little actual hands-on experience with the machines in question..

But a splash of castor bean oil in your gas tank is fine.. I used it to stop the 10% ETOH - in cheap petrol, from eating
the tank of my commuter RZ 350, & it never did any harm.. no gummed up PV's or anything..

Now if you DO want to be an "idiot" & try something.. mix in a bottle of IC model nitro juice, that'll add both a nice smell & give
a 'tired' mill a real kick in the arse, too..

As for that last "myth".. well, as I recall..

Back in the day, a well ridden RD 350 would keep the contemporary 750's honest, especially in the twisty/hilly stuff,
& for proof, just check the number of laps completed at the Castrol 6hr at Amaroo, by the class-winning RD 350s..

By the `80s a stock RZ 350 in good fettle - with a decent rider - could rip out mid 12's on the 1/4 mile,
.. which is quicker than most stock`70s era Nippon 750s,
& certainly better acceleration than most of the big Euro-jobs ( BMW/Italians) through much of the`80s too..
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

RD350's were surprisingly nippy in their day but what I've always loved is light, good handling bikes. Riding irresponsibly through London that lightness, handling, quick direction changing and good acceleration was a match for anything and better than a bigger heavier bike.
Horses for courses, I commuted in the city on two different YPVS', a VFR750, Trophy 1200, Honda CB500 twin (don't think Aus got them) and I'd say the LC2 was best and quickest, followed by the CB. Both had strangely forgiving handling, didn't put too much weight into the brakes and could change direction quick smart.
oldjohnno
Occassional Stroker
Occassional Stroker

Post by oldjohnno »

JonW wrote:
The little yams did win quite a few races over much bigger bikes, but it wasn't because they were faster. The tyre technology of the time simply couldn't keep up with engine performance, particularly at tracks like Daytona. So while the big bikes were shredding their tyres the little bikes just kept circulating...
James W.
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by James W. »

Yeah, Jarno Saarinen on a TZ 350, beat the bigger F 750 bikes at both Daytona & Imola 200 feature races..

While the early RD 350's could not match a decent 750 of the era for straight-line speed, & had foot-peg hangers which
looped under the pipes - limiting ground clearance, they did have a good opposed (twin-piston) caliper front disc brake.

See here (below) for the laps done at Amaroo in the Castrol 6hr race, for showroom stock production bikes..

http://www.the6hour.com.au/content/history1974.html

The Castrol 6 hour race showed that the "myth" about `70s-era Nippon bikes being shit around corners
& having rubbish brakes, didn't matter too much, if you could really ride..
..since its road-holding/ground clearance - that really counts,
& steering/handling finesse can be ridden around.. well, to a fair extent.. anyhow..
( a big fuel tank filled at sub-zero temp helps too, especially for a thirsty 2-stroke being flogged at race-pace)..