RH crank seal

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
neilstar

RH crank seal

Post by neilstar »

hello all ive just rebuilt a 1983 rz350 ypvs

and it seems I have a leaking right hand crank seal, very frustrating , so my question ?

Is the right hand castellation crank seal suppose to go with castellations facing inwards, towards bearing or outwards

thank you for your help
Attachments
rh crank seal.jpg
rh crank seal.jpg (65.36 KiB) Viewed 1535 times
Gavin
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: RH crank seal

Post by Gavin »

From answers I obtained here in the forum, you should have the metal spring facing out, which from looking at the picture, you do.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
86 RZ250F restored. 84 RZ500 rebuild in progress, 73 CT3 in progress
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

RH crank seal

Post by Greasemeup »

That's wacky, it doesn't look right, not that I would know at all, but on wheels and other bearings seals are generally around the other way, with the hollow side facing in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gavin
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Gavin »

Have a look at my '86 ypvs restore thread. I asked the exact same question. I got a link off Jon that had some pics http://www.scooterhelp.com/RZ_help/rest ... crank.html. Hope it was right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gavin
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Gavin »

I thought that photo looked familiar. Seems you know the scooter page already :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
neilstar

Post by neilstar »

Thanks for replying people, after some research on here, I'm assuming I have the seals in the right way, but they are "YAMBITS" seals, yes, anybody used crank seals from yambits , is this the reason gear oil is getting into crank , why they no good ?,
please any contribution is appreciated ,
Australia 1983 RZ350 YPVS that I completely restored

Thanks Neil
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

Gday Neil. Correct orientation for right hand crank seal is castellations to bearing (facing inward) you have it correct in the photo.
From what i have read on many forums the yambits seal are not of great quality. I allways use genuine yamaha crank seals, they cost more but give piece of mind and save you dollars in the long run. The same can be said for head gaskets, allways use genuine yamaha. I once used a non genuine head gasket on rz350 and on the first ride after installation i got a hundred k's from home when it started leaking. One more thing yamabond 4 gasket cement is best for engine cases and i spray holomar gasket jointing compound on head gaskets prior to installation. It's a bugger when you have to learn this after you have spent the money on a product that you would expect would do the job. I have bought many other parts from yambits for various vintage yamaha's and mostly i would rate there products. You would think there seals would be ok but i have read to many negitive reviews on them.
neilstar

Post by neilstar »

thanks for replys everyone,

cheers Neil, learning the hard way apparently
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Neil... STOP! The best advice anyone will ever give you on our bikes is - "Throw those yambits seals as far away from you as you can, then buy and fit the genuine seals."

google 'yambits crank seals' and im sure you can read plentiful tales of woe... :(