Help - I need a good collar!!

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Help - I need a good collar!!

Post by pkay »

Actually I am after a collar for the rear wheel of a RD250/350LC. The part number is 2R6-25377-00 and strangley seems unique to the LC?????? It is part number 7 on the rear wheel part schematic. It's the one that sits on the inside of the LHS bearing bewteen the axle collar and the bearing. The previous owner of my bike seems to have not installed it (and the support flange for the axle collar) at some point and as a result my rear wheel bearings got chewed out and collapsed while I was riding the bike - fortunately it gave way at about 5 km/h just near my driveway!!!
Any help most graciously appreciated.
Regards
PK
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: Help - I need a good collar!!

Post by JonW »

ouch, check the wear on the brake side as well, ive seen them wear there too when the collar is missing and obviously if its worn you will need a replacement wheel and a brake backing plate too. if you get really stuck ive a set of wheels for sale on here, but dont really want to split em :/
Last edited by JonW on Mon May 23, 2016 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Of course, its just a spacer... and if you can find the dims you can make one easily enough.
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by pkay »

Yes the bearings are cactus on both sides - there was a bit of damage bewteen the brake plate and the rim but not enough to cause me grief. As a back-up how much do you want for the wheels? I presume they have all the paraphenalia inside? This bike has caused me nothing but problems and I am so tempted to wreck it!!
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

bearings are cheap enough to do, so dont worry about that. Make sure you also have the spacer inside the wheel as well tho.

ok, cool. I only mentioned it as a guy i sold my other set of wheels to was racing and found his brake back plate had eaten the wheel cos of a missing spacer like yours. I still am shocked people leave them out, but i guess it happens :/

The wheels are in my LC parts thread, theyre a set of 250 units and I think are $150. I can do pics if you need em etc.

Nah dont wreck it, there cant be much left to fix now and theyre great when theyre done of course. These days a runner is worth good money, less so to wreck i reckon :/
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by pkay »

That would be great thanks
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

These are the sales posts, pics I will need to do tomorrow...

- Front and Rear Wheels 250 wheels - Look ok, but need a repaint. Seem ok on balancer. 'Bare' ie No disk, sprocket etc old rotted tyres and I expect you would redo the bearings (who wouldnt?!). $150/pair

- Jumpstart your 250LC rebuild with a fully restored rear wheel... Cleaned, polished (correctly, not overpolished) and repainted, one small nick filled that should not show when tyre fitted. Run straight and true on the balancer. New All balls bearings fitted, new seals (OEM). $250
James W.
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by James W. »

Pkay, is yours a 250, or 350? Wheels are different.

If you can do, (or can get done) a bit of basic machining, see if you can find an XJ550
back wheel with the same 'italic' 10 spoke pattern, they are the next size up on rim width,
(2.15) so fit a 120 section tyre better, & feature a more robust cush drive, but look original,
& will accept the RD axle with some basic custom spacers, & a bit turned off the cush hub..
James P
Regular Stroker
Regular Stroker

Post by James P »

pkay wrote:...The part number is 2R6-25377-00 and strangley seems unique to the LC??????
The model code 2R6 is RD125 twin, 1978-1981 (an update of the 1E7 model). I have an idea that the collar is the same on RD200 (2R7) models as well.

Regards,
James
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by pkay »

Thanks James - you're ight I should have followed the model code as it was not standard RD250LC - that's a good tip for anybody doing a resto and coming up against an odd part number. I can see that the RD250LC has a simple rear hub design vs standard bikes eg only 2 bearings - probably done as an attempt to do it on the cheap - especially with the fixed sprocket to the hub rather than the usual cush drive hub. Of ocurse makes spares a challenge - fortunately I managed to buy another rear wheel so am set....