Newbie with an R5

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
porge

Newbie with an R5

Post by porge »

Gents,

I'm new to the forum, and to the world of two strokes. Four strokes? Yep...a couple of SR500's, and a 76 XT500C in TT500E clothing. And a Matchless...and a BMW R65LS...and couple of little Hondas for the kids.

But I've been two stroke curious for ages, and when the deal on this R5 came my way, I couldn't say no.

Were it a four, I'd change the filters, oil, plugs, and see how she went. But I understand you need a bit more caution with one of these.

IS there a recommended recommissioning procedure? I'm moderately handy on the tools, but just want to be as kind as I can. The compression is about right
James W.
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: Newbie with an R5

Post by James W. »

Same deal really, check if clean, or otherwise renew - points & filter,
replace oil, clean/adjust carbs & oil pump settings, squirt a bit of lube down the inlet,
check ignition timing, new plugs, add fuel & kick 'er in the guts..
porge

Post by porge »

Cheers - I probably better get a manual.
porge

Post by porge »

Here's a couple of shots of the bike. The BMW in the background came as part of the package...or the other way around

Missing the seat hinges, so looking for a pair. Have spark (big fat one!) on LHS, yet to clean the points, or deeply troubleshoot the other.
jools
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by jools »

Good score Porge! Just replace those silly 'bars with a set of Norton Straights, checkover as above, (particularly the lube system) and start laying those smokescreens!
porge

Post by porge »

Any tips on setting the lube system?? Thought I'd do my preliminary tests with premix, and a couple of squirts of oil down the inlet tract.

I kinda like the bars. I have a couple of other bikes with lower bars (An SR500 with vinnie flats, and the R65LS)
porge

Post by porge »

Oh - everything works on the bike, apart from a blown globe in the indicator, and no toot from the horn (missing!)
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Really good score Porge :-)
Great looking bike.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
jools
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by jools »

Only half-kidding about the bars mate, -each to their own!
I think most people would recommend using premix as a first start for any 'unknown' 2-stoke just as a precaution, then you can check oil injection flow etc. (Possibly the RZ method that I know could be misleading, I bet you'd get the info easily here or elsewhere on the net).
Enjoy! ... (Disregard the Beemer, fettle that Yammie-gold!)
porge

Post by porge »

The beemer, as they all do, just works :)

Four to one with it though - 2 SR500's, an XT500C as well.

A good mate has just bought a '79 RD250 Daytona. Chemtrails coming our way, I reckon.
gman
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by gman »

nice r5 there porje. looks mostly original. I reccomenf you buy a service manual or maybe you can down load one.
Also i'd get on ebay and find a complete gasket kit, if the bike was mine i'd remove a barrell and check the ring end gap, piston and bore condition also the deflection on the conecting rod. that alone and checking for movement of the crank at the stator end will give you an indication of the crank condition. can be done in less then an hour and for the price of one base gasket and reuse the head gasket you will have a good idea of engine life.
porge

Post by porge »

Cheers GMan - in terms of end float, should there be much measurable/perceptible at the stator end?
porge

Post by porge »

Have just discovered Partzilla, BTW. Holy moly!
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Now watch On Any Sunday, Dave Aldana commuting helmetless to work on one I think. Inspirational.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
porge

Post by porge »

:thumbs:

Gaskets on the way.