RZ 250 VS 350 Powervalves Question

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
jools
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: RZ 250 VS 350 Powervalves Question

Post by jools »

That's all great advice Jon, just what we need to know, thanks.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

No worries, happy to help just dont always have the time to type it all in. There really is lots of info about PVs and also seal issues with yambits on the forums as its discussed most months (especially in the uk as yambits is local to them), less so here as there is so few of us and we mostly tend to read and post on the international forums too, but rarely buy from yambits as we are not local. I often wish there was one big repository of good data on this type of stuff. The hints and tips of running and using our bikes is not straightforward. I tried to add some of it to my site, but people tend to ask rather than search as many dont know where to look i guess.

As an aside: And no, Im not bitching about the OP (Lowflying) here as he did have a look after my quickly typed comments but my clues let him down, my fault not his. Anyway, this question has had me thinking about the 'Fb forums'; it seems that those guys never look up anything and evidence suggests that many of them do not ever read/post on the forums, they just ask everyone on Fb for info every time like its a new query, after all the same question or info from last week has long dropped off the bottom of the page now, and, well, I mean, how far down are they sposed to search on their phone... more than a few flicks of the hand and its wanking, right?! haha! The best bit is that if you watch some of the questions unfold is that you get all the other 'non googlers' guessing at an answer. Info there is fast, but not very reliable... each to his own. I like me forums, Im a dino maybe...

Lowflying, feel free to email me if you want to talk this stuff thru, its an easy enough job to do and should lessen the spooge for a while, but beware that if the parts are worn then it wont fix it for good. Lots of guys need their cyls bored and oversize holders made now, stan stephens in the uk has pics of that somewhere i think. Remember, these are old parts, and... everything wears, especially if its been neglected. Thats why people wont hand of heart tell you that its an easy fix and you'll be sorted fast etc, you may need more work than you think when youve it all apart, but nothing a good engineering shop cant fix for you of course. 20 years back you might have fixed this for good with new seals, you may get lucky today of course, but I cant promise anything. Anyway, work on your own bike, research and buy the parts, embrace and enjoy it, its part of owning older machinery. :D
Lowflying
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Lowflying »

OK. Thanks for all your comments gents. I'm not ungrateful, just busy with work lately so haven't had a chance to check back. On the big plus side I have been flogging the RZ lately (not a euphemism :wink:) and enjoying it immensely, although I had a disloyal thought a couple of weeks ago about setting it free. Thankfully I saw the light and am back at it with renewed vigor and a determination to refresh the old beast. Have removed the front fairing (was always running without the sides and belly) and am planning to go completely buck naked with an LED headlight, maybe a cool MotoGadget clock and led indicators too. Also planning to fit tracker style bars as I'm finding the clip on situation a bit uncomfortable for my urban assault sessions. Will post up pics when I'm done. If I like it like that I may go the whole hog and mod the seat unit for the street tracker look too.

Back to the thread. I do intend to get around to pulling the barrels and seeing to the PV situation. Will gather all the bits first (using the good info here) and then do it myself. I will persist until it's done or I've buggered it up so badly that I'm starting a new thread selling parts! :lol: NO, I WILL NEVER SURRENDER!!
If people quit riding after a crash, there'd be nobody left riding!