GT185 Suzuki - muffler loud.

Topics regarding Suzuki 2Strokes
felixoscarr

GT185 Suzuki - muffler loud.

Post by felixoscarr »

I took the old girl for a ride yesterday to my local coffee shop. Just tucking into a nice pie and a guy sitting at another table said is that your Suzuki? He then said well it sounds to loud and that he was a motorbike mechanic. This is the second person that has said its loud for a two stroke. I have brand new baffling in both mufflers. Are they correct or am I just doing something wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by felixoscarr on Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
OzzyElsie
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: GT185 Suzuki - muffler loud.

Post by OzzyElsie »

Curious indeed - that any bike should draw comment about noise. Maybe it was a sound they were not use to rather than the sound level.

If there are no obvious leaks and the baffles are fitted I can't see why the exhaust should sound loud. I'm not familiar with the GT185's baffles but they might be missing fibreglass mesh wrapped around the baffles.

The other possibility is that there has been some surgery performed to the internals of the pipe. But I can't see even these types of mods producing unsolicited comments about noise.
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics." - George Fitch Atlanta Constitution, 1916
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

If it's too loud, your too old!

pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by pkay »

Ha ha
What was the packing like around the baffles? You may want to pull them out and check if it's an issue. The other thing is to check how qualified your friendly advice source was to make such a judgement - ie how many other GT185's has he heard to compare it too...... Personally I wouldn't worry about it - just make sure there are a couple of Harley's around and you'll seem as quiet as a church mouse......
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

I think they just didnt like the noise, plenty of very noisy 4 strokes now and a packed 2 stroke muffler shouldnt be terrible really...
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

Plenty of open pipe Harleys around here that are bordering on painful to be too close to. Different levels of cultural acceptance.
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
felixoscarr

Post by felixoscarr »

Cheers for your comments. Got a good laugh. Maybe he was a bit precious. I have brand new baffling in both mufflers. Not sure what else to do. But She does sounds beautiful to me. [emoji1]