I Love My RD250LC

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

I Love My RD250LC

Post by pkay »

After taking the bike for a 100km round trip yesterday I am a convert - what a hoot. This is the furthest I have ridden it in 5 odd years of ownership and only the second ride since the gearbox and rear axle debacle of earlier in the year. The road up to Mt Glorious is perfect for the bike and it's so small the road felt like a freeway!! Only problem was I kept overriding it for the first 20km and had to really reduce my steering inputs (when you also ride a Katana which is a 200kg plus lump you'll understand) but once I sorted it out it was great.

After all the money and crap in getting this bike to run I am now a happy camper. Still seem to have an issue with the clutch cable appearing too long making it difficult sometimes to get neutral but other than that ring a ding ding!!

I am off to start my 1984 RZ250 project now - engine out this weekend and off for a rebuild. The bike was pretty much complete project that I picked up with an RGV250 and an 86 1XH RZ250. It was missing an engine, some cables and the power valve controlling gear. Now have most of the bits I need and itching to get started. The one question is colour - can't decide to do the black frame or the red frame. But if that's the biggest issue I have......... I'll make this a separate thread now the LC is on the road.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Re: I Love My RD250LC

Post by JonW »

Im so glad to hear this, I remember a few few times when this one became a bit too much hassle and nearly got broken up, so its wonderful to know youre loving it pkay!

FWIW the neutral problem is not always the cable, there are a few things you can do to help the netural as well, the best and chespest as its free is by creating the 'shift star mod', which means grinding back the cog like gear selector star to have more rounded teeth. Have a look on norbos forum as there have been a bunch of posts about this mod on there.

Excited to see your RZ get built now :)
BRG1200
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by BRG1200 »

84 RZ, lots of nice paint options there.
Toss a coin on the frame colour then look for the best scheme to go with it ;-)
Ex UK, now in Adelaide. LC250/350. DT175. Shed full of sh1t in the vague form of dismantled rusty RD’s and RZ’s.
ged
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by ged »

Glad to see all the effort and persistence paid off pkay. They're a brilliant little bike.
Greasemeup
Master Stroker
Master Stroker

Post by Greasemeup »

If your thinking Blue paint, make the frame black. Red frame just won't work with blue paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk