1984 RZ250 Resto

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

1984 RZ250 Resto

Post by pkay »

So the start of the next project.
The bike came to me as a frame as p[art of a group of bikes I bought - this RZ, an RGV250 VJ21 and an RZ250 1XH. It had the original exhausts, wheels , wiring loom and pretty much everything except the engine, carbies the binnacle, mirrors, the CDI and the power valve gear. The tank was average and the front guard in the box wrong. I have been scouring eBay for several years collecting bits and fortunately some of the stuff left over from the LC will work on the bike (mirrors and indicators).

I now have all the bits except power valve cables and just finbished another project so time to get started. I found a tank anmd original front guard in the USA. A fronmt binnacle came from Japan and I have been through the wiring loom working out what connects to where. I have a CDI and a power valve servo but still need to sort where that sits. I sourced a complete engine from findapart and a set of proper carbies from Tiaro Motorcycle Wreckers (be a sad day when he closes shop).

As mentioned elsewhere colour scheme is the biggest choice. The engine comes back out this wekend and off for rebuild. I'll then strip the bike down for cleaning and painting.
Attachments
RHS 1.JPG
(58.29 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Before engine fitting.JPG
(63 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_8810.JPG
(58.5 KiB) Not downloaded yet
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: 1984 RZ250 Resto

Post by pkay »

And here are the colour options - I like the balck nbase but given the binnacle is new and in the white scheme that is the likely winner
Attachments
Rz-84comp.jpg
(83.7 KiB) Not downloaded yet
rz-84dos.jpg
(168.83 KiB) Not downloaded yet
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by pkay »

I just realised the refitted photo is before I got the new tank, binnacle, mirrors and front guard - I'll find the proper photo and post it as the correct starting reference!
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Great project, just having a half decent start with things like the pipes makes such a big difference to the success of the build i reckon.

FYI There are a couple of other options re paint if you go further afield etc All decals are available so its easy to do:

http://rd350lc.net/pageWORLD-31K.htm