Let the good times roll

Topics regarding Yamaha 2Strokes
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Let the good times roll

Post by pkay »

Sorry for the shameless use of Yamaha's advertising slogan but Yamaha has been good to me of late (bet I've just cursed myslef saying that).....

One of the issues with having a number of motorcycles is that they are often quite different. Things like carbies for example. Now my 1986 RZ250 has ben a bit of a labour of love. Was bought off the Bay as a bike that had been stored properly. So that meant the tank was rusty from not being dried before storage, the fuel tap was fuel of solid gunk and the carbs weren't too good either. So after souring a correct tank and having it very nicely painted by Bob at Ace of Sprays, repalcing the clutch springs cause it splipped when the power came on, cleaning the carbs, getting rid of the stupid pods and putting an original airbox back in and replacing the fuel tap (that was almost as expensive as the tank job) I went to run it and it was revving its iddy biddy tiddy's off. Thinking the worst I consigned it to the back of the garage until the mechanic was free. Then on Monday I had another looksee at the wee blighter and what did I notice - idle adjustment screws on the carbies......... Purs like a kitten now and runs like a civilized gentleman's motoring conveyance. Two two stroke Yamaha's sorted in the space of a coupe of weeks now that is a record!

Pip pip old bean......
Attachments
RZ250 IXH finished.JPG
(69.76 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Gavin
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Re: Let the good times roll

Post by Gavin »

Very nice. I have the same model and year. Would you mind telling me the yam code of the seat you have there? Should be printed underneath. My seat looks the same but is an inch too short.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
86 RZ250F restored. 84 RZ500 rebuild in progress, 73 CT3 in progress
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by pkay »

Leave it with me
pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by pkay »

IxG-24730-00
Gavin
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Gavin »

Cheers for that. I've somehow ended up with a 1UA-24730-00. It even has the strap across. Nice to know there's another out there running though. Those mufflers and fork brace are hens teeth! What made you go with black fork sliders?

JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

fork 'brace' (term used loosely as its a muddy holder, not going to brace anything) is a junk plate plate with a gentle bend it in Gavin, you could easily make one I reckon. Do you have one to draw round? If not I do if youre passing this way, I use a Wicked brace now on mine, much better.
Gavin
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Gavin »

I ask because I've just pulled my forks out and wasn't sure of the finish. Polished, painted, powdercoat or just clear coat. I do like the black though.

pkay
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by pkay »

The forks are as on the bike when I bought it.
JonW
Veteran Stroker
Veteran Stroker

Post by JonW »

Only the 85 had black forks from new, F2 is a dullish polished alloy thats lightly cleared over AFAIK.
Gavin
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Gavin »

I'm trying to recreate that dullished polished look you speak of. It's a fine line between brushed aluminium and hazy chrome look.

Gavin
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by Gavin »

Jon, I have a question but will add it to my ongoing thread rather than hijack this one

James W.
Expert Stroker
Expert Stroker

Post by James W. »

pkay wrote:Sorry for the shameless use of Yamaha's advertising slogan but Yamaha has been good to me of late (bet I've just cursed myslef saying that)..... Pip pip old bean......
Dunno 'bout "cursed" pkay, but the actual slogan was 'Kawasaki lets the good times roll.'

See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgizvHA8ZRI